MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gall bladder question

babysteps

Hoping one of you ladies have some ideas for me...

I had my gall bladder out about a year ago. Seems to be something that runs in my family... my mom, one of my aunts, grandmother all had theirs out too.

I had several things that surprised the docs... I am several years younger than *typical* to have gb problems, and I'm not overweight and don't eat a high-fat diet, all of which I know contribute to stones. I *have* had 5 pregnancies, which I know increases chances of problems.

My concern now is my daughters. I have 4 girls. Knowing that this runs in my family, what steps can I take to help them minimize their chances of problems? Obviously we want a low-fat diet, but are there other things we can do? Herbal supplements, specific foods to avoid or to include, or ?

Reading that Abigail's daughter had her appendix out reminded me of this. Anything I can do to decrease their chances of having to go through this would be great! Emergency surgery isn't fun now... I don't want to think about what it'd be like after tshtf.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

afternoonhummingbirdsmove.gif

I don't have any advice either, but, I had mine out a few years ago. My mother never had hers out and 2 of my sisters had theirs out when they were in their 30's I think or about that age.

I am still having problems with some foods and neither of them ever had any problem eating anything after having it out.

So, guess you should just go with what your doctor says.

HAVEAGOODDAY-2.gifHUGS4-1.gif

Gall bladder disease IS DEFINITELY a disease with familial tendencies...My dad had to have his removed, also myself, both my brothers, both my daughters, one of my sons and one of my granddaughters (a teenager). Some of us are overweight, some thin...our diets are probably all different, but we all eat a variety of food. I know you are worried, babysteps, but your plans for being proactive with a good diet may be all you can do as far as preventative. Good luck!!

Archived