MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Corned Beef Hash

Is it possible to can corned beef hash, and if so does anyone have a tried and true recipe? We have been stocking up on corned beef while they have been cheap and I want to have some hash canned in in the pantry for winter if possible. Thanks in advance. Sue

Mrs Wildweasel (cute name) I don't know the answer to your question but I'm curious too. I bought a few cans to put away but wouldn't mind making some of my own to stow away for winter. If I knew how to make/can it I wouldn't have to rely on store bought.

Well, what I did was to can up the corned beef by itself. When I want it I throw it into the grinder with a potato and a little onion. That's it. All the seasoning is in the corned beef already.

You won't be able to safely can the hash. It is too thick and dense for the heat to properly penetrate it.

Commercial industry has different equipment and ingredients than we do, so many things done commercially cannot be duplicated at home.

If you want to can the meat, follow the directions here for meats .There are directions for both chopped meats or chunks:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can5_meat.html

Archived