MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Another Vidalia Onion Question

Aggie

I found a recipe for Vidalia Onion Relish, and the recipe was for canning. But it calls for flour, which I know you're not supposed to use in canning recipes.

My question: Can I make this relish without the flour and then can it? Would leaving out the flour substantially change the taste? It's based on a Paula Deen recipe, and I love her recipes, but don't want to go to all that trouble if it won't turn out right. The recipe is below:

Vidalia Onion Relish

4 medium-sized vidalia onions -- chopped fine

2 cups shredded cabbage

1/4 cup salt

1 quart water

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 cups cider vinegar

1 tablespoon dried mustard powder

1/8 tablespoon turmeric

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons celery seed

2 teaspoons mustard seed

1. Chop onions and shred cabbage into a large glass or crockery bowl. Do not use a metal bowl.

2. Dissolve salt in 1 quart of water and pour over vegetable mix. Cover and let soak overnight.

3. In the morning, turn vegetables into a large colander and drain.

4. In a large pot, dissolve brown sugar in cider vinegar. Mix mustard powder and turmeric with 1/2 cup water; add flour, mixing to make a thick paste with no lumps. Add to vinegar-brown sugar mixture; stir to blend, again making sure there are no lumps.

5. Add celery and mustard seed and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to prevent sticking. The mixture will thicken as it comes to a boil.

6. When it boils, add cabbage and onion and continue to boil and stir for 5 minutes. Mixture is very pungent.

7. Put in sterile jars, close with sterile lids and put in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes to seal.

Notes: Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Thanks again - I'm learning not to trust just any canning recipe I find online. This one is exported from Mastercook, which I always thought was reliable.

All the flour will do is thicken it a little bit, which for a relish, I don't think it's necessary. And I see no reason you couldn't can this (without the flour of course). It's similar (kinda) to sweet and sour pickles that I make.

Nononononononono...Clear Jel is not approved for just any application...it's only approved as a thickener for pie fillings.

We need to get Violet in here for a little more information on this cause it's too early for me to be thinking this seriously, but if I remember correctly, Clear Jel is only approved for the pie fillings.

And please, I don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings, but in the Preserving the Harvest forum, we only teach the approved methods of home canning. There are lots of "we've always done this and it's fine" out there, but there is scientific proof why doing it that way puts people at risk for botulism and other serious issues. That's why the Ball Blue Book and other publications have been updated over the years and those old methods and/or recipes removed...because it has been discovered that there is an increased risk of contamination.

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Nononononononono...Clear Jel is not approved for just any application...it's only approved as a thickener for pie fillings.

Sorry Darlene! I thought Clear Jel was approved as a caning thickener period...Can you tell me what the difference would be using it in a relish verse a pie filling? One is just fruit and sugar the other often has sugar and a pile of vinegar to.
Does the vinegar react with the clear jel in some way?? confused
Any of my recipes for relish that use thickeners use a little corn starch I've always used it, with great results. But everyone should do there own checking with the current canning standards before making anything.
Thanks!

Kim, I sent Violet a pm asking her to look at this thread. She knows off the top of her head the details as to why, and I'd hafta go look in my notes cause I'm drawing a MAJOR blank as to the reasons why not.

I'm sorry...it was too early when I typed the last post to remember, and now it's 12:21am and I'm too exhausted to remember.

((((kim))))

When you add any thickener, it slows down the rate of heat penetration because it changes the density of the product. Plus, it depends upon what thickener is being used as to whether or not it changes the ph level of a food. There are actually a couple relish recipes that do have a little flour or cornstarch in them. As far as I know, they will be changed to using Clear Jel instead. The recipes published from USDA are safety tested. They also have a very large amount of added acid.

However, not ALL relishes or pickled things are safe to add it to. It all depends upon the density, ph, etc. of a particular relish. The corn relish does have some flour listed in the old recipe. But, the density of corn relish and the density of some other vegetable relish may not be the same. The size of pieces of food makes a difference when canning. The size of food pieces allows for different rates of heat penetration. There are so many variables that affect safety when canning foods. Be sure to check a safe, tested recipe before adding any thickener. The recipes from USDA/Extension sites and the Ball Blue Book are safety tested. (The University of Georgia is the leading authority on home canning. They have the National Center for Home Food Preservation. I highly recommend checking it first.Recipes from other books and sites may not be tested. )

http://128.192.83.157/faq/FAQ_home.php

So, basically, do not add any thickener to any other recipe. No thickeners are safe to add to any tomato products, including ketchup,and salsa. No added thickener to low acid things, either.

Clear Jel so far is only used in pie fillings. To my knowledge, as far as I know, Clear Jel will be used instead in the tested relish recipes later instead of flour or cornstarch. There will new USDA guidelines published any time now. We keep waiting to hear they have been published.

Thanks Violet, and sorry Kim...I guess some of the rules are changing again, which is a good thing in this instant because it sounds like more favorites will be safer to can using the Clear Jel.

Archived