MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

flour ground in Nutrimill

I received a grain grinder last week (yeah!) and I was wondering about the flour I've made with it. Does it need to be refrigerated? Or is it okay to store in the pantry?

thanks

I stored some in the pantry but then wound up using it within a couple days. I was wondering the same thing, LOL (new to grain grinding here also but got sick of hand grinding and got an electric one too, LOL)

You should keep it cool and in a dry place. Ground whole wheat will go rancid if it sits long enough where it is too warm and it can grow mold if it is in a high humidity area. You will be able to see the mold and smell the rancid oils if it does go bad I have been told. Store bought flour has the germ in it removed, because it would go rancid to quick for mass marketing. The reason most of the vitamin's are gone from it is the germ removal, in addition to light which kills off the vitamin B in it really quick, so place any ground flour in a container that prevents light exposure. A lot of people feel it should be refrigerated for a week or two only as the nutritional value dies of rather fast once ground. I have stored it in the refrigerator for up to a month with no problems and a week or two in small amounts in the flour canister for quick use in cooking some dishes.

Kath

I got the Nutrimill from Simply Living Smart

I really like it. The flour is wonderful although I'm having to adjust my bread recipes somewhat to get a well-risen loaf. The grinder is about as loud as a vacuum and very fast. The customer service is great at Simply Living Smart too.

I had the same problem until I started using Biscuitmaker's recipe.

It calls for 1/2C gluten in a 10-12c flour batch. Once I added that much gluten, everything stopped collapsing.

Ladies---I have a Nutrimill, it works great and I love the flour.

But I have one problem with it, I can barely get the lid off of the container that the flour dumps into. My husband is strong and he has a hard time also. In fact if I had to do it by myself I couldn't. We have put oil on it and such and still no luck.

Has anyone had this problem?????

Archived