MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How long to get canner tested?

Unless they are backed up, on vacation, or sick they should have it done in one day. At least that what the extension lady told me here.

wormie

John

We do it on the spot if you call for an appointment at the extension office or we also have canner testing at local hardware stores or produce markets on certain days. No appointment needed at the stores. We charge $2 per gauge.

It is just a simple test with a unit like a bicycle pump, basically. Only takes a couple minutes to test.

OK, I did, it's done, they just forgot to call. How nice that you offer so many options. We had to drive to another state to have ours done. Granted, we're not far from the other state, but...no one in this county or the next one does it.

Mo7

MommyofSeven,

Would you consider turning it into a weighted gauge canner so you don't have to worry with testing the gauge any longer ? Let me know, I will try to help you through doing it if you want.

I did it to mine and also my friends. I am now doing one for my daughter, too. It is a matter of having the right stem and weight set for your canner.

Violet,

I would consider doing so but I cannot put any $$ into it right now. I would love to get a list of what supplies I'd need to do so and then when I'm able to get them I could PM you.

Thanks so much for the offer!

Mo7

I need the model number of your canner probably and the size of it. Mine is the Presto 22 quart and I also have a newer 23 quart. Usually the part number is the three piece weight set 50332. It costs $10 here for one. As long as it fits on your vent pipe, that is the one that works.

What is your altitude there, also ? Do you have to use 15 lb. pressure ? I see you are in Colorado, so that may be the case. If so, you may not need to buy anything else...

Let me know and I will see what I can do to help with the information.

Archived