MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canner Question

brendajo

This is how you learn. I feel badly, too, having to tell people the bad news....

Do not leave the jars in the canner overnight. Bacteria can grow if left in that warm environment. You need to remove them after the ten minute rest time with the lid off.

They need to cool to keep bacteria from growing as well as have them cool properly to get a good vacuum seal.

Plus, sometimes the canner lid gets stuck on the canner. It can ruin your canner. I have actually heard of folks not being able to get the lid off, not even when reheating the canner.

If you reprocess within 24 hours of the first canning they should be OK.

Yes, always 2-3 inches of water before the jars go in the canner.

why do I not leave this in the canner over night,because the batch maybe undercooked ? When I do this again Will this overcook the stuff and turn it to mush,I wouldnt have ate this until I was sure about this process and being short of little over 5 minutes and the meat was well cooked I thought I might be over reacting.....and it may be just fine...Wishful thinking Now Im worried if I reprocess this will it be fine???How would I know smell and check the seal when I do eat it???Ill make a note on the label.

Please, don't get overalarmed at the message below ! Home canning is safe if you follow the guidelines. Trust me, I have done this for over 30 years. But, this is why we follow the safety guidelines.

Herbal, bacteria can grow in those jars as they sit in the temp. danger zone too long. You want to remove them after the pressure drops, remove the weight, then let sit for 10 more min. before removing the lid. (This part is new to us, too. )

Plus, it is supposed to keep the jars from siphoning as much, is my understanding.

If you leave the lid on all night it may get stuck and you cannot ever get it off. I have heard of it happening and folks have had to throw the canner and the jars inside away. Sometimes folks can get the lid off by reheating, but then the jars inside come unsealed with the reheating.

Reprocess within 24 hours of the intital canning and it will be fine. After that time, there may be bacteria in there that will not be destroyed.

You can't see, taste, or smell botulism. So, if it were in there, you wouldn't know. However, boiling the contents for 10 to 15 min. before ever tasting would destroy the toxin.

Here is a link that will tell you more: http://www.hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3680.htm

Archived