MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Growing herbal teas...wild chamomile?

Shandy

I don't know if this goes here or not...direct me if it's in the wrong place.

We have a portion of our property that we let go so the chickens (and goats now) can scrounge. By about August, all we have left there is mint and something else that I *think* looks like chamomile. Spindly plants with a little yellow flower ball at the end of the stems.

It looks like the pictures I've seen, but how can I really tell if it is or not? I mean, does chamomile just grow wild like mint does, without any care at all? I sure would love to dry it and drink it if it is...we love chamomile tea, and it would be nice to not have to buy it anymore.

I live in the PacificNW as well, it grows wild in my gravel driveway! I've tried growing it in good soil, but it dies every time.

I use it in my arthritis tea, I prefer the stems, leaves and unopened flowers to the opened flowers you can buy.

I don't know of anything else that smells like chamomile...

Well unless it's pineapple weed which is a close cousin. grin It smells mostly fruity. I'm not sure it grows in your area but most likely. The best bet would be to POSITIVELY ID it before you dry any herb and use it.

The first web site below lumps them all together the second is specifically pineapple weed.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53507/

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/matmt.htm

Pineapple weed flowers can be used fresh or dried to make a nice tea with a sweet fruity taste not unlike chamomile.

True Chamomile is usually taller and has white rays around the yellow center. Chamomile has a broader medicinal usage than Pineapple weed but they are similar.

Most states have a web site with the common "Weeds and Flowers" with some having some great pictures to help ID. If you have a Master Gardener's program or an arboretum in your area you can contact them also. The Master Gardeners usually work through the Extension office.

bighug

grin Laughing @ MamaTiger. I would imagine that anyone living near a green area of any sort would be able to find SOME wild 'tea' there unless it's heavily sprayed and manicured as in some city parks.

ID'ing them and making sure they have not been sprayed are essential for use but it might be a good idea to know them before the SHTF just so you can literally go Neener, Neener to all those who are just drinking water for lack of flavoring lol .

bighug

• 1 month later...

Archived