MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thinking

zzelle

i am thinking of trying to online college plus work 37-40hrs a week raise three kids and be a full time wife so i can better myself and eventually make more money to support our family i am wanting to learn something that i will be able to stay at home and do on our computer any ideas any thoughts on what i could do our what college would should i use i need something we can afford. thanks i do not know if this goes here.

zzelle...I don't do this, but a friend of mine who had a master's degree in technical writing wound up taking a course in medical coding and making more money working at home in less hours doing that. You may not need a college degree to work at home -- so check into those things first. It might be cheaper.

In previous at-home jobs, I have been a message board manager. (yes, for pay!) and have done freelance writing for magazines. The market is a little dry now so I'm not doing a lot lately in that regard, but when I did write magazine articles, I often got from $1000 to $3000 per piece. I was getting a dollar a word at one place. I could knock out a three thousand word story in a matter of hours, with about three days prior spent doing the phone interviews. I used to do one or two a month when my daughter was younger. My degree is in journalism, but what got me the freelance jobs was my clips. (a portfolio of my best newspaper stories.)

My cousin has an elderly parent to care for. She was a bank teller, has no college degree. But she wanted to stay home to care for my uncle so she asked the bank if there were any data entry jobs she could do at home. They set up a secure line and she was able to keep a bank job and work at home. They transferred her to the branch that was less than a mile from her home so she could also go there for several hours a day while her dad napped. So she was able to keep working full-time, be home most of the time, and still stay in touch with her workplace.

Another gal I know who works at home gets piles of invoices from an auto parts warehouse and enters them into some system. I think it is an inventory control system. It's all data entry, but she gets up early and gets it done before her little kids are up in the morning. Her job is part time. She says it's kind of mindless but being home with the kids is a tradeoff, plus being able to toss laundry in during breaks is a plus for her.

I have a friend that does medical transcribing from home. Her brother works for the hospital and got her an inexpensive way of training. I don't know how much the training is but I do think it might be rather expensive.

Another friends daughter is a paralegal. When her child was born and she wanted to stay home her boss offered her the chance to stay home doing her work. She, of course, jumped at it.

My daughter works for a company making and marketing computer games. Some of time is spent playing the game to find glitches before it goes out to the markets and then she does tech support when the game does go out. She could do alot of it from home but being young, single and carefree she prefers to go in to see people instead of a hermit at home.

zzelle,

I'm doing it right now. I did a lot of research because a lot of the places that advertise work from home on the internet are fly by night. I called some of the hospitals around here about Medical Transcription. I was referred to Career Step. I started the program a couple of years ago but dropped it when I had the opportunity for a job that I went to college for. After working in the Public School System I have no desire to stay there any longer than I have to so I picked it back up. They offer two routes...Medical Coding and Medical Transcription. I'm doing Transcription. You work at your own pace and they have job placement services based on which pkg you sign up for. You have a total of a year to complete it I beleive then you can apply for extensions that are not very expensive. If you are interested PM me. I'll be on here tonight. Oh>>>>>also they offer financial aid and scholorships. I got a student loan to do mine.

Archived