MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

First Try at Jerky Making

I finally got brave enough to take a stab at jerky. I let it marinate for two days and dried it last night in the oven. It's a little more brittle than expected, but it breaks off and chews well. Even though it was cut with the grain, it's not stringy or tough, and most importantly, there are no strong preservative undertones in the flavor. We made it from round steak with as much fat trimmed off as possible, but I notice a little grease on the bottom of the strips where they were sitting on the rack, so I wonder if that's to be expected or if the beef was a little too fatty to start out with.

The remaining test is to see how it stores. (if it lasts that long!)

Does anyone have any recommendations that I could use to improve my method?

Sounds good to me! wink

I don't usually let mine marinade for that long. 4-24 hours is enough for the thin strips we use for jerky.

I've never had grease with mine, but I usually use only sirloin steak (bought only on sale! LOL). I've wanted to try the ground beef kind, and I'm sure it would have grease. I think I would probably wipe it well, and store it in the freezer because I wouldn't want the grease to turn it rancid. But that may be unneccessary. shrug

Sorry I'm not more help. frown

Mine NEVER lasts long enough to store.

Maybe too fatty to start with? I have never had grease. I would store in the fridge for sure. It never lasts long at my house either, so not sure how long it really keeps smile If you get brave, try pemmican, it's one of those "stores forever" foods. (Although I probably wouldn't go that far)

I use London broil cut for ours & have noticed a little grease on some of ours. I dab it off & when I store it I store it with paper towels. I fold a paper towel for the bottom of the rubbermaid contaner I'm using or I fold it & stick it in a baggie & drop the jerky into the bag. If it's brittle, it was dried a little bit too long.

Archived