MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning jar unsealed

I heard a pop like a canning jar lid sealing and went and checked. I found one lid that dented when I pushed on it so I lifted the lid. Contents looked ok and smelled ok. I don't think any spoilage organisms got in. I think it was just the heat in the room causing the contents to expand that popped the lid. Lid came off with a slight effort. If there were any organisms it would have smelled bad very soon after they got in. At any rate, the dog had a good dinner of my lovely canned turkey.

I think I need to move the rest of the canned meat into my bedroom closet because it is air conditioned and the other storage is not. Just thought you gals would be interested.

Yes, I've had the same thing happen.

Today, I canned a 45 # box of cherries. Every one sealed, but one. Somehow, some old jar got by me and there was a rough space on the top....never sealed. "Oh darn!", says DH. "We'll just have to eat it!"

Good for you for catching the disaster in time!

I've had it happen too. When I first started canning I thought it was perfect when I heard every jar ping. I didn't know they could come unsealed after sealing and sitting in the pantry. Thank heavens it doesn't happen too often.

Glad you caught it before you had a big mess Trish.

Yes, I hate to lose a jar, but trying to find a stinker among all the jars in a stack of boxes is a royal pain.

45# of cherries! WOW!

I've got 52 qts moved this morning and now my back is hurting. The rest will have to wait. Those boxes are heavy!

Archived