MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Time to go back to WaterBath Canning

I am getting so frustrated. A week or so ago, I needed to re-do a batch of seasoned hamburger because my propane stove ran out of propane with only a few minutes to go. Today, I moved on to chili. Canned 7 pints, no problem although only 3 of them have sealed. Had the second batch in canning and all seemed to be going well until 60 minutes in and then the pressure just dropped. Heat had not been adjusted, still had a flame and plenty of propane. Tried to get it back up, but the burner was already as high as it would go. Now I have 11 pints of chili to either re-do or freeze.

Don't understand what is going on. I have been canning for a few years. Have canned many many jars of chili before as well as chicken, soups and pork. I really hate putting in all this time and effort with nothing to show for it.

Packing away the canner for the time being and will work on getting the tomatoes I want canned up instead. frown

The problem could be you are canning on too high a heat for the entire period, which is affecting your gasket.

Go read your pressure canner book where it tells you what temperature to can-- usually you need to put it at medium for the long haul canner times. The other problem is that your gasket may simply be worn out. They often need to be replaced every few years if you do a lot of canning. My canner troubles were magically erased when I got a new gasket! (and sometimes you need to replace the little red pressure plug if you have that on the lid, too)

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have an All American canner so the gasket is not the issue. Since I was canning outside and it was a coolish rainyish day, the pressure would not hold at 15lbs unless the heat was all the way up. I will check the pressure valve though and make sure that was clean - thanks for the ideas.

BB, I think doing the canning outside where the weather is going to interfere with a constant, reliable heat/pressure, is what is causing the problems. The AA's are tanks and it's just not making any sense why it's messing up on you, other than your heat source and surroundings.

I believe that's probably also part of the problem that your jars are not sealing. The weather conditions are really wreaking havoc on your heat source, which in turn, messes with your processing.

I don't know if you also do that, but the updated canning guidelines also call for leaving your jars in the canner for an additional 10 minutes, once it has depressurized, which is supposed to help jars that don't seal. But I personally think it's the conditions that you're running your operation that are augmenting your failure rate. I'd start with stabilizing that, and then go from there.

I just saw that you are canning outside...THAT definitely would interfere with constant heat. I had the brilliant idea of doing stained glass work outside and the soldering iron wouldn't stay heated right outdoors either.

It doesn't even have to be cold outside for this to happen. I had to put up a wind shelter around the soldering area....and then got disgusted with the whole thing and brought it all back inside.

I'd do the canning indoors--and if it's too hot, stick a fan in the window blowing the hot air out!

Hey BB,

Please don't give up on canning!

The first time I water-bathed, I tried something easy and had to throw it all away because I thought SIMMER was the same thing as BOIL...I burned my fingers, broke jars, both the kitchen and I were wrecks!

It can be rough canning inside, particularly in the summer heat, but to be successful, you do need a place with a constant temp and that is what indoors gives you. My husband is constantly wanting to bump me outside, but I told him no way - not only would I get sunburned, I can't control the temp as well!

So, when I pressure can, I get EVERYTHING ready as far in advance that I can, and get up REALLY early and get as much done as I can before the weather gets warm.

Do have your gasket, dial gauge (if you have one) and vent/ petcock checked. Also, do try it again, this time indoors. If you're still having issues, let us know! There's a great group of ladies here who can walk you through it.

Hey, MtRider just did her first meat in her pressure canner a week or so ago...everyone is still learning in one form or another.

A few questions,

1. Where did you get the recipe for your chili?

2. Did you strongly vent the canner for 10 minutes BEFORE bringing it up to pressure?

3. You were using propane - did you have a shield or something around the stove to keep drafts away?

4. Had you done any pressure tests with your canner before? Had it held at 11 lbs (or whatever pressure) you needed?

Don't mean to pick on you, dear, quite the contrary. darlene These questions might help us with solving your problem.

Keep your chin up, you'll get through this!

bighug

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning
Hey BB,

A few questions,

1. Where did you get the recipe for your chili?
2. Did you strongly vent the canner for 10 minutes BEFORE bringing it up to pressure?
3. You were using propane - did you have a shield or something around the stove to keep drafts away?
4. Had you done any pressure tests with your canner before? Had it held at 11 lbs (or whatever pressure) you needed?

Don't mean to pick on you, dear, quite the contrary. darlene These questions might help us with solving your problem.

Keep your chin up, you'll get through this!

bighug

I don't feel picked on - just frustrated.

To answer the questions.
My recipe is from the ball blue book, I have successfully canned it a number of times.
Yes - I did vent the canner properly for 10 minutes before putting the weighted gauge on top.
I do not have a shield or the like around the stove. It is tucked into a semi-protected area, but it is the same place I have done all my pressure canning. Can't move it indoors, my glass top stove does not support canning.
Yes, I have pressure tested the canner. It will usually hold the 15 lbs I need without a problem.

Based on everyones ideas, I am going to say my trouble was the weather and that I was canning outside. Too windy and the stove could not keep up with the steady heat I needed.

I do appreciate all the advise and ideas. Thanks guys thanks

BB5, I cannot can with my kitchen window open on a breezy day. It does the same thing to my canner. Those all-americans are the queens of canners...but they will still fluctuate with room temperature if the room temperature is fluctuating.

I use a fan in my kitchen, and make sure it's blowing away from the stove and I don't use one of those with the rotating heads.

So I'm assuming a breezy day would have ruined your stuff, like you've already said. frown

Archived