MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Using canned salmon...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I think salmon is one of the things you either like or don't. But it's a very healthy food, and cheap when you can find it for $1 a can... which is when I buy it.

I have to admit, it's not my family's favorite, but I grew up with it and love it!

SALMON SOUP

(Good old Amish recipe! LOL)

Open can of salmon.

Drain juices into saucepan, catch meat with hands.

You may peel off the squishy skin, and give to a pet, or break it into unrecognizeable bits into the pan.

As you are breaking up the salmon into bite-sized pieces, remove bones. (They are soft, both rib bones and backbones, and an excellent source of *good* calcium for women. I usually pull off the gross veiny things from them and eat the bones. *grin* )

Pour milk into the pan to cover well, maybe a half gallon (?).

Add 1 or 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and heat, stirring occasionally. Do not let boil, just come *to* a boil.

Serve over crushed saltines (salt to taste).

This is one of those soups they made when everyone is busy either planting or harvesting.

SALMON PATTIES

Drain salmon, remove bones, break up meat into small bits. Should have about 2 cups.

Stir in:

1/2 cup crushed saltines

2 beaten eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

(optional - 1/8 teaspoon paprika)

(optional - pinch dried dill weed)

Form into patties, saute' in butter until browned & fairly solid (egg is cooked).

May serve with a white mushroom sauce or dill sauce.

I make them like this, and dredge them in very fine cracker crumbs once more, making them look "breaded". I don't add paprika, but I add dill weed, and don't use a sauce.

**Cat blushes, knowing that every time you think of her now, she'll be eating SALMON BONES!!**