MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I Gotta Lotta Dried Green Peas!

CrabGrassAcres

So I've been a hunting recipes. Found this that was real interesting:

http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch52.html

Here is a good looking recipe for pea cakes.

Quote:

About.com

Home Cooking

Green Pea Cakes with Gingered Spinach Recipe

Recipe Feedback:

User Rating write a review Be the first to write a review

From Best of Food & Wine 1995 (American Express Publishing Corp), for About.com

Green split peas are pureed with onions, chiles1, and ginger2, then fried. Spinach3 with ginger, tomatoes4, and spices is served on the side. Plan ahead to soak the split peas overnight.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

* Pea Cakes:

* 1 cup dried green split peas (about 1/2 pound)

* 1 small onion, coarsely chopped

* 1 small mild fresh green chile, such as Anaheim, seeded and coarsely chopped

* 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 3/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying

* Gingered Spinach:

* 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

* 1 teaspoon mustard seeds

* 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds

* 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

* 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (available at specialty stores and Indian markets)

* 1 medium onion, thinly sliced

* 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger

* 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced

* 1 to 2 medium jalapeno chiles, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise

* 1 pound fresh spinach, tough stems trimmed

* 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter

* 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped

* Salt and freshly ground black pepper

* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

* Lemon wedges, for serving

Preparation:

Make the pea cakes:

In a large bowl, cover the dried green split peas with 4 cups of water and let soak overnight. Drain and rinse the split peas and transfer them to a food processor5. Add the onion, fresh green chiles6, fresh ginger7, salt, and 1/4 cup of water, and process until pureed.

Make the gingered spinach:

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Stir in the mustard seeds8 and the cumin seeds and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the turmeric9 and the garam masala10 and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sliced onion and the chopped fresh ginger and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sliced garlic11 and jalapeno and continue cooking until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.

Add the fresh spinach12 to the pan in large handfuls, stirring until the leaves are wilted before adding another handful. Cook, stirring, until the exuded liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the butter until melted, then add the chopped tomatoes13. Lower the heat to moderate and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and keep warm.

To finish the pea cakes, heat the 3/4 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet. For each cake, drop 2 tablespoons of the split pea mixture into the skillet, pressing down on them lightly to make 3-inch rounds. Fry the cakes over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn the cakes and brown the other side, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to paper towels to drain and keep warm while you fry the remaining cakes.

Arrange the green pea cakes on 4 large plates and spoon the gingered spinach alongside. Garnish the dish with the fresh cilantro14 leaves and serve with lemon wedges.

Yield: 4 servings

Recipe Source: Best of Food & Wine 199515 (American Express Publishing Corp)

Reprinted with permission.

This About.com page has been optimized for print. To view this page in its original form, please visit: http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetabler...es/r/blv112.htm

©2007 About.com, Inc., a part of The New York Times Company. All rights reserved.

After all, there is more to peas than soup, right?

Quote:

Green Pea Pudding Ingredients
1 1/2 lb Dried split peas 2 tb Cornstarch
2 1/4 c Water 4 tb Water
1/2 c Sugar
Instructions for Green Pea Pudding
1. Soak dried split peas overnight in water. 2. Bring to a boil, using the same water. Then simmer, covered, until peas are soft (1-1/2 to 2 hours). 3. Strain into a bowl through a fine sieve. Then stir in sugar. Return to saucepan and reheat over very low flame, stirring frequently to prevent burning. 4. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and remaining cold water to a paste. Then stir in over medium-low heat to thicken. 5. Pour into a shallow rectangular pan, to a depth of 1 inch. Let cool; then refrigerate until set. 6. Cut the pudding in 1-inch cubes and pile these, pyramid fashion, on a serving platter. Garnish with maraschino cherries and serve. NOTE: This dish, also known as Pea Cubes, Pea Jelly Squares and Green Pea Cake, is eaten like a candy with toothpicks or small dessert forks. In China, it is served in the summertime with afternoon tea. VARIATION: In step 3, before returning the mixture to the saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil or lard; then pour in the strained pea puree and stir constantly over very low heat to thicken. (Watch out for burning.) Omit the cornstarch paste. Pick up steps 5 and 6. SOAK OVERNIGHT From , ISBN 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glens MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.

I've been parching oats and grinding them for oat flour. I normally make "instant oatmeal" with it.

Last night I parched 2 cups of dried green peas and this morning I ran them thru the grinder. I mixed three spoons of parched oat flour with 1 spoon of parched pea flour, a bit of salt, a spoon of sugar, a dash of cinnamon and three spoons of powdered milk. Then I poured boiling water over it and mixed it well and let it sit a few minutes before eating it. HEY it was pretty good! I'm going to mix up a gallon ziplock bag of it and keep it in the cupboard. This might be a good bug out bag item.

I have dehydrated split pea soup quite nicely (also chili!!) The legume soups make great cup-o-soup and are much cheaper and certainly much healthier. Absolutely a great bug out item. Just add hot water, stir and eat! These don't store as long as some things probably due to the meat (chili) in them so use in about 6 - 9 months. My split pea was meatless, it lasted a year before I ate it and was just as good as ever.

I took some of the pea flour (from parched peas) and some oat flour (From parched oats) and some dry onions and mixed it with some eggs and salt and baking soda and vinegar and dry milk and water and baked it with some coconut oil. Made a very nice onion bread that daughter with celiac was delighted with. I thought it was good enough for seconds myself. (Burp.) LOL Now I need to write down amounts don't I? I am a dump and taste cook.

I reconstituted the onions so I had about 1/2 cup of onion. Dumped that (including liquid) into a gallon zip lock. Added three pullet eggs (small eggs) a couple tsp salt a tsp baking soda. I had the flour mixed already, about 1/3 pea flour to 2/3 oat flour and I just kind scooped that into the liquid till I liked it. A tablespoon of vinegar and a few spoon fulls of dry milk. I made it the consistancy of a quick bread. (Thicker than pancake batter but pourable.) I mixed all together in the bag then snipped the corner and squeezed it out into a small pan that had a nice layer of coconut oil poured in. Baked at 350 till thumped done.

Archived