MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A couple questions from a wanna-be canner

Vlynn

I usually freeze or dehydrate everything, but you guys have motivated me to attempt canning my salsa this year. I'm wondering - do I have to use (buy) a BWB canner? or can I use a tall stock pot? How much space would I have to have above the jars?

Also, for the acid - I see recipes using lemon or lime juice, or vinigar. Are these interchangable? Can I mix/match/combine them as long as I get the required amount of acid in the mix?

You can use any kind of pot for a boiling water bath. You'll need some kind of spacer under the jars, to keep them off the bottom of the pan...such as a wire rack, butter knives, canning jar rings, etc. You need to have the pan deep enough that two inches of water cover the top of the jars.

As for acid, use only bottled lemon juice or vinegar. Also, make sure to use a trusted salsa recipe. There are several at the National Center for Home Food Preservation. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_salsa.html

Have fun, and let us know how your salsa turns out. smile

You can use bottled lemon juice or bottle lime juice in place of vinegar but NEVER use vinegar if the lemon or lime juice is called for. Lemon juice is nearly twice as acidic as the vinegar. It must be bottled, not fresh, too.

Archived