MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cantaloupe?

brendajo

Have not tried this myself, but we have a friend who swears that if you cube it, cover it with Seven Up and freeze it that this works great. I would like to try drying some this year, if I make it will report back.

amish spiced?

http://www.amishshop.com/hazel-doc/amishco...dcantaloupe.htm

Wash the cantaloupe, cut it in slices, and remove the seeds and rind. Cut melon into 2" pieces and pack into sterilized jars. combine the sugar, water and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot syrup over the melon in the jars. If necessary, add boiling water to fill jars completely. Add the oil to the syrup. Place self-sealing lid and ring on the jar. Process in a home canner for 15 minutes, timing from the moment the water comes to a full boil.

Makes 2 pints or 1 quart

2 pounds firm ripe cantaloupe

1 c. sugar

1/2 c. water

2/3 c. cider vinegar

4 drops oils of cinnamon and cloves (equal parts)

Cantaloupe Preserves 2 lb. firm, ripe cantaloupe

1 3/4 lb.. sugar (4 cups) juice of 1 lemon

Peel cantaloupe and cut in thin slices 1" long. Mix sugar and cantaloupe; let stand overnight.

Add lemon juice; cook until clear. Pour into hot jars. Adjust lids at once and process in boiling water bath (212° F.) 5 minutes. Remove from canner and complete seals, unless closures are self sealing type.

Makes about 2 pints

this would make a really fun dessert!

Chilled Filled Cantaloupes

2 ripe medium size cantaloupes

1 package sugar-free gelatin (strawberry is great)

3/4 cup boiling water

1/2 cup cold water or ice cubes

1 banana, sliced

Cut the melons into halves lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and drain well.

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Combine water or ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups. Add to gelatin. Stir until slightly thickened. Remove any unmelted ice. Add banana. Place melon halves in small bowls. Spoon in gelatin mixture. Chill until firm.

Cut into wedges.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/nosugaradded...antaloupes.html

Archived