MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jam for diabetics

kathy003

I was wondering what you do different for people who have diabetes and cannot have all the sugar in the regular jam recipe. My best friend is diabetic and did love my first batch of jam, but unless I can make it with a lower sugar content, she will not be able to eat much of it.

I did see in the store today a low or sugar free pectin, but what do ya'll do about the 5 cups of sugar that goes into the jam as it's cooking, that people who are diabetic cannot have?

You guys are the best, thanks!

I use Pomona's Universal pectin and use Splenda in mine or just add some frozen apple juice concentrate to sweeten it.

Pomona's is awesome stuff. So different than the store stuff you buy. You order online or in some health food stores.

You can even gel water with Pomona's. No sugar needed for it to gel. You can even make up your own recipes using their suggested guidelines for amounts of fruit.

Stephanie....that is great stuff. You can make jams without sugar using that! Or you can add a little sugar or splenda or whatever you want. It's great stuff. I use only that kind. That's not a bad price either. The cheapest I get it is $3.89 at my local farm stand. It's usually around $4 or $4.50 everywhere else. Sometimes I can't find it around here so I buy it online, too. It sounds expensive but you use the box for several batches. It doesn't make just one batch of jam. You mix up "calcium water" from a small packet and that will keep in the fridge for several weeks. You add that to the fruit and then you use the powdered pectin part adding it in separately or with any sugar you are putting in. The difference with this pectin is that you don't boil the daylights out of the jam...you just bring it back to a boil once the pectin is added. It will still look like syrup until it cools.

You can just use splenda and fruit with a natural high pectin amount. Apples, some grapes, plum, blackberries... My grandfather was a type 1 all his life, and he used to make a fig & strawberry type with fake sugar.

Thanks everbuddy!! This does look great and I noticed that shipping is included in the price for the link you shared Violet, that's good.

My dh, dad and stepdad are all diabetics. This is a good thing to get ahold of, can't wait to share this with my mom.

I am glad you are getting some Pomona's. It has given me back my ability to have homemade jams.

My fave is plum with some added frozen apple juice concentrate.

I was a little disappointed with my strawberry, so think next time I will add some of the apple juice to it, too.

Just adds a sweetness that I don't get without adding it to some of the kinds of fruit.

My peach seemed rather flat, too, since I left out the apple juice. I am still learning what works best for flavors.

Archived