MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home-made Instant Breakfast

Not my recipe, but I seem to recall someone was asking for this:

1/2 to 2/3 cup cocoa powder (lots more if you like it strong)

1/2 to 1 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you use the pudding, up to 1 cup if you don't and you have a sweet tooth)

4 cups instant-style milk powder (she uses nonfat)

1/3 to 1/2 cup egg powder (she said Deb-El, which is the whites)

1 small box instant pudding mix (optional, but very nice)

Run the cocoa, sugar, egg, (pudding if you have it) and a cup of the milk powder through your blender dry. When it's all the same color, mix thoroughly with the rest of the milk powder.

To test results, mix 1/3 to 1/2 cup of powder with 1 cup liquid milk. If you don't have the pudding mix in it, add a bit of vanilla extract to the liquid. If the result is not chocolatey enough, scoop out a cup or so of the mix and run through the blender dry with more cocoa powder, and mix that in with the rest of your breakfast powder. Take the time to get this batch right for your family's tastes, making notes as you go, before you start the second batch and risk your efforts becoming a whine-maker.

Alternatives:

My guess is that if you wanted a good French Vanilla instead of chocolate, you'd definitely add instant vanilla or French Vanilla pudding mix to get the powdered vanilla flavoring, and use 1/2 cup powdered whole egg instead of the egg white. I would also add a touch of nutmeg, because I like it.

You could also try instant coffee instead of cocoa powder, or coffee and cocoa in a 50/50 ratio.

The lady I got it from was making it for nutrition, so my guess is she added the eggs for protein. In the French Vanilla version, I would think you'd want the egg for body.

I don't use Splenda, but the guy I gave the recipe to immediately said he was going to try it with that.

My husband, who has bad teeth, loves the vanilla version without powdered egg. He uses NIDO milk and whips in a fresh egg (ours, so we don't have to worry about salmonella) and I quietly add a B vitamin supplement to his daily line-up.

Archived