MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The shelves are starting to fill up

RNMOM

It's such a beautiful site to see those shelves filling up with my home canned foods. So satisfying...worth the mess. Having store bought canned goods on the shelves just doesn't give me any warm fuzzies like seeing my colorful tasty food sitting there.

I'm kinda mean though, I like to see it sit on the shelves for at least a few weeks before I'll allow anyone to touch it. Am I the only one that's crazy like that?

http://egangarden.blogspot.com

The Garden of Egan. That's cute! smile

My pantry is starting to look lovely too.

And yes, I'm mean like you. NO ONE touches one of those jars till all of canning season is over, and that means till the pumpkins are put up in October. It's fresh or nothing.

Or a jar that didn't seal, if you are so lucky to have one of those. LOL

LOL I don't have an official policy on when we tuck into the canned goods...but I think unofficially the only thing we start on is the jam and the fruit leathers.

My shelves this year are getting very, very full and I still have carrots, pears, apples and pumpkin to go . We have already eaten some of the canned green beans because a jar did not seal and it was dinner time...so I just served it!

I am happy for each of you ! Mine are filling up, too. I have been using canned chicken. Today I had a busy day, so I made a casserole with some.

Tomorrow I will make some spaghetti sauce with homecanned tomatoes and fresh garden onion, too. I have to be gone part of the day, so that will make my life easier.

Have you noticed how early it gets dark ? I am not ready for fall and winter yet.

I remember my gramma getting so steamed at my grandpa because he would PURPOSELY push the lid on a jar, set it aside, and eat it later...he did this with ALL fruit, but particularly peaches and pears. It wasn't enough that gramma kept a dish or two out for him...he said it tasted better from the jar... smile

I'm still waiting on my shelves...my DH has been slammed with work, so he is promising to work on them this weekend. I've been tripping over boxes OVERFLOWING with FULL jars.

Crazy4Canning, I have the shelf problem also. My hubby wonders why so much stuff is sitting on the floor in the laundry room while he forgets that I have been waiting for 2 YEARS for the additional shelves in the laundry room. Unfortunately, in addition to everything else that gets stored in a house, I also have his tools, our fold up camping chairs, etc because we don't have a secure shed. We have a barn (with no door) and a shed (with a hole large enough for a dog to walk through hole above the door. Neither can be locked or heated. Soooooo, I have a radial arm saw and lots of tools in the floor of my bedroom closet, a full laundry room closet (all tools) and a table saw and lots of tools on the floor in the den and the kitchen.

Archived