MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Saving suet

MommaDogs

I have a freezer full of suet that I have to render down. I use it making "marvel meal" which is a bird food (we also call birdie fudge) made out of corn meal, flour, suet and peanut butter.

I am getting some meat and need the room in my freezer. Can anyone suggest a way to preserve it for a few months until the weather gets cold and I have to start making the birdie fudge? This will not be for human consumption.

The only thing I can suggest is that you find a local butcher shop or other store willing to "rent" you room to store it in their freezer.

I can't imagine canning it, because it just wouldn't seal properly... the least bit of leakage would stop the seal.

Freezing is the best thing for suet.

Or find some very good friends who have the room in their freezers... wink

bighug

Both very good suggestions. Thank you. I didn't think of it taking up less space. I'll do that, see if I can fit it and if I can't, I have a neighbor who loves birds. I bet she'd swap me some space for some free birdie fudge.

Thanks -always creative suggestions on here. It's silly how many dumb questions I have. I'm really not that dumb. Really.

6.gif THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!

Sheesh, we can't think of *everything*!!! 4.gif

Where would I ever feel like a useful person, if not helping here? I *wish* my "real life" made me feel as capable...

Not to mention how MANY, MANY times ya'll have helped ME!!!

grouphug2

Archived