MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Looking for hamburger recipes to can

RNMOM

I've checked out the recipes stuff on this site and have a few I want to try. Has anyone canned meatballs? Has anyone canned plain hamburger with no sauces?

I've got hamburger thawing out in the sink. I want to make more room in my freezer.

After my disaster on Saturday night of not finding any canning jars, I went through my food storage room and decided that the gray disgusting peaches that I was going to someday do something with had to go. I hated throwing the stuff out, but it was too ugly to keep. I wasn't going to make leather out of it after this many years. I now have a few more jars to make me happy and fill with fresh yummy food.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help and great ideas. I love this site!

I would can for tacos or use in spaghetti. There is a way to safely can the plain meatballs. Some people love them. Some also make small patties and can them.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

Personally, I would not dry the meat. It is not a USDA safe method. It can put you at a risk for food borne illness because it doesn't have any salt to remove the moisture as it dries. (Called water activity, where water and moisture allows bacteria to survive and grow.) Then, it sits in the temperature danger zone too long before it dries. Then, ground meats are not even recommended for jerky any longer due to the many,many surface areas it has for contamination.

Archived