MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

stainless steel canning rack ??

TXQFMom

OK our water is pretty bad here (rural, not well)...

I have already lost 1 canning rack and #2 is getting bad from the water... this is JUST this summer.

Now... I saw ss canning racks online that run about 3x the Walmart cheapies. Worth it IF they hold up better. NOT if they do not.

Has anyone had cheap canning racks get discolored and powdery and then welds give from their water? And if so have you tried a ss and did that work better?

And yes I wash dry and store when not in use...

I don't use those racks for the BWB canner. I use a small stainless rack that is meant for a small bbq grill. Found at the thrift store for 99 cents. Fits in the bottom well and no little sections for the jars to fall through. I can fit more jars in, too, this way. You can also use a rack from a pressure canner in the bottom. I don't know how long those stainless steel racks for the BWB canners last.

Definitely all options. Basically, anything that will keep the jars up off the bottom of the canner, and allows water to flow around.

Jars, grill racks, something tied together from wire coat hangars (though I might make sure they were clean first smile )

Archived