MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wild Mushrooms

Does anyone gather what I call "deer horn" mushrooms? DH picked a grocery bag from woods this evening. Out of curiousity tried to look up some info on them. Couldn't find a whole lot or even more scientific name. He likes spring morels better but I was always more comfortable with fall deerhorns, having grew up eating them. Have enjoyed them for years and they can be breaded and froze for later frying. Here's a picture if you call them something else.

Edible_Fungi_11.png

*ONLY* eat mushrooms you *know* are safe!!!!!

Don't trust only once source for info, either... check and DOUBLE-check!

That said... Nope, never tried those, Granny. What are they like?

I've heard the fall "cauliflower" ones are good, as well as very young fall "puffballs". Dad tried the puffballs and like them, but we tend to search in the spring for Morels.

shrug

Or.. you can also check with the county extension office and see if they can help you identify these mushrooms.

I'm sort of in the same situation here, LOL My father used to go mushrooming but I wasn't paying attention too well in those days because I was a kid and hated mushrooms. So, I only know one variety that I am certain is fine. I don't even know the name of it, I just know that one is okay to eat. At least Dad got one variety into my addled head, haha. (irony...now I love shrooms! Lesson..kids! pay attention, you may regret it if you don't!)

Hey, maybe if you ask around the community there may be someone like my Dad who knows mushrooms....some nice old Italian guy might be able to help you! LOL

Archived