MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apples and applesauce

preparing

How many pints of applesauce can you get from a box of apples, I guess they are 40 pound boxes? Last year I did quarts and I bought apples for like $5 a box. They were soft. I am not sure I can get the cheap apples this year, but I am going to go check prices. I want to do pints and try to figure the cost. I just cannot figure how many pints or quarts per box.

preparing, this is what is stated in the National Center for Home Food Preservation applesauce directions.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/applesauce.html

Quote:
Quantity: An average of 21 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 13½ pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 48 pounds and yields 14 to 19 quarts of sauce – an average of 3 pounds per quart...

That is what I needed! Last year I got older apples going soft for $5 for about 40 pounds. Right now they are new crop apples and Gala are .39 cents a pound. They are not selling by the box, so 21 pounds x .39 cents equals $8.19 and then that would be 7 quarts or 14 pints, which divide by $8.19 by 14 and you get .58 cents a pint. I went to the store and the first time I ever saw applesauce at this price, .48 for a 15 plus ounce size, so I got a couple of flats, but after I took them home I realized they have corn syrup and that is not as good as the home canned. I think I will go ahead and and get some since they are new crop and will last longer. I hated trying to keep up last year with the apples going too soft.

Archived