MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydration question(portions size)

Mimi54

Hi all,new to dehydrating things.I've recently purchased a Nesco/American Harvest to see if I would like dehydrating in way of preserving.While I am used to "puttin'up things" by way of freezing vegetables,and jelly making,hot pickled okra,ect. I am just now starting with preserving dried foods.I've searched for this before posting my question,if I missed a post somewhere that answers it,I apologize ahead of time.

I just dried bananas,ws taking them out the dehydrator this morning and that's when I got stumped.I've read the many ways to store,but I wondered in the amounts,individual portions,qt.or one giant bags,ect? I also just purchased a FoodSaver,so I will either go that route(unless not the best way,then tell me)or just use freezer bags,in freezer and in containers.Anyway,I am soooo green at this,so just please lead me down the right path.Thanks.Mimi54

I have dehydrated, but I don't care for the foods, so I don't do it a lot. It's a great way to process tons of food and use just a fraction of the space to store them, as opposed to freezing or canning. I wish I liked the finished product better.

When we have and do dehydrate, I kept/keep my produce in quart jars with canning lids. I used to have a pump n seal (and I'll have another soon), and we just popped the dehydrated food into pints or quarts and my husband sucked the air out of the jars. Kept very nicely. Too nicely. Since I didn't like using it, they sat there for years and years and when I did finally use something, it was in as good condition as when I'd first dehydrated.

Just make sure you get all the moisture out or you are looking at molds. Of course, you know that. Just thought I'd repeat it. Nothing quite so discouraging as drying something for 12 or 24 or 48 hours...and having it grow molds a couple months later. frown

how much you store per bag or jar will depend on not only what it is, but how often you use it, how much of it you use at a time, and how many people will be eating it.

I know not the answer you were looking for.

bananas.... will you be eating them by the handful? will you be mixing them with other fruits and nuts as needed? will you be rehydrating them to use in cream pies or puddings or powdering to be used to flavor muffins, cakes or breads?

Then you have to ask yourself... how often will you be using bananas?

so perhaps you seal in quart jars or 1 pound bags.

Carrots.... do you eat soups? or use them as a side dish? soups will need far less then say using them as a side dish.

so my answer.. store in quart jars! LOL!

We vacuumed up a bunch of apple chips my DH made into foodsaver baggies. They crunched a bit too much for my liking (into little tiny chiplets) so I put some in jars with a lid - very nice!

I've also done this with celery, carrot, onion, chives, corn etc.

Do try yogurt drops - mix a box of sugar-free jello with a small carton of yogurt and then drop on a sprayed easy-release sheet in your dehydrator...mmmmm...tastes like candy! Dry until bendable, but not snappy.

I put single servings of things in little baggies. Then, the baggies go into either a container or gallon ziploc bags. I often store mine in the freezer. This way I just grab an individual bag for lunches, etc.

You "condition" the food before storing. Put it all in a large, preferably clear container. Let sit for a few days. Shake a few times a day to distribute any moisture evenly. If you see any condensation, they are not dry enough and will mold. You put back on the dryers until they no longer have any condensation.

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning

Do try yogurt drops - mix a box of sugar-free jello with a small carton of yogurt and then drop on a sprayed easy-release sheet in your dehydrator...mmmmm...tastes like candy! Dry until bendable, but not snappy.

C4C, That sounds easy and delicious. My dehydrator is due to arrive Nov 3rd. I can't wait to try this.

Thanks everyone with the responses.They helped me alot.Knew you guys would! Crazy4canning,I wondered about the crumbling in the foodsaver,so thanks for telling me now before I made that mistake.Oh,that recipe sounds absolutely wonderful,gonna try that one.I've been so afraid of not getting all the moisture out setting it up for mold to invade,so all the tips/suggestions about that is appreciated.Mimi

Archived