MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pumpkin ?

Ok I have a couple pumpkins that wasn't carved so I want to use it in pumpkin bread, can someone tell me how to do this? I've never done this, I've only used the canned from the store so I'm totally lost. Also can it be frozen? I will be using it before christmas. Thanks.

Kelly, I have cleaned out the pumpkins and removed the skin and anything bad on it,cut up into cubes and cooked and just used butter and brown sugar and eaten it.

It may not be the finest pumpkin used but it should be fine used in pies. You can just do what I did and put it in ziploc to freeze flat, minus any spices and sugar. Add the correct spices when you get ready to bake it, as needed, like for pies.

I know folks who dry squash and yams and pumpkin could also be dried. yams and summer squash, sliced thin and if you want dip the squash in something a bit spicy like potato chips and dry it that way if you have any of those that you wont eat up quickly.

I look at it like its food.... especially if money is tight.

It did not hurt me to cook it like orange squash and eat it.

Kelly,

I grow pumpkins and butternut squash specifically for pies, breads, and cookies. I split them in half, remove the "guts" and bake them in the oven, cut side up with a bit of water in the bottom of the pan. When done, I scoop out the cooked squash and mash it up. I have found that the consistancy is more like canned pumpkin if I drain it in a sieve overnight in the fridge. Without this step, the squash/pumpkin is a bit more watery than I like and I don't care for the pie texture (the breads and cookies don't matter).

As for freezing, it freezes great! I freeze the mashed pulp in 2 cup increments in ziploc bags. (Laid flat before freezing, they stack great in the freezer) I just made a batch of pumpkin bread yesterday from the last bag I had from last year's harvest. It tasted fine and the bread is gone!

Hope this helps. I'll try to post an incredible pumpkin cookie recipe later in the week.

Andrea

pumpkins sold in the store for carving... are for carving. It is the little pumpkins ,.... not those tiny cute ones for a desk.. but the ones about the size of a small watermelon that are for pumpkin pies.

the carving pumpkins have little flavor...yes a very watered down flavor.

the pumpkin pie pumpkins will say pumpkin pie pumpkin and are usually by the squash.

Most people due to the expense, purchase 'butternut' squash to make pumpkin pies and cookies.

Don't forget to dry the seeds!!!!

Hmmm. You know, I've heard of folks using winter squashes for pumpkin recipes. Pumpkins take up a lot of space in the garden. I might do some research and see if I can get some good winter squashes that take up less room to replace the pumpkin. Hmmmm.

Now you have me thinking, Westie. Thanks! smile

grow up! you will need netting or old panty hose or something to support the fruit while it is growing.

Works for both melons and squash.

Archived