MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

do I dare..?

ol'momma

Dear Sweet hubby brought home some darling itsy-bitsy canning jars yesterday and suggested that we could fill them with my home made mustard for Christmas gifts this year. Here's the recipe. Do I dare try to can it or should I just give it to folks with the clear intent that they use it right away???

Spicy Hot Mustard

½ c (2oz) fine ground dry mustard

1 c. vinegar

1c. sugar

3 eggs

Red-pepper flakes to taste (I use about a shy TBS)

Whisk together vinegar and mustard and let stand overnight. The longer it sits, the hotter the mustard will get, maxing out after about 8 hours.

Mix eggs, sugar and mustard/vinegar in double boiler. Add hot pepper if desired. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Makes about 2 ½ cups. Store in the refrigerator.

Nope, no eggs hon.

If you wanna give it out as gifts, tell them it has to stay refrigerated and used within a certain period of time.

The recipe looks awesome though.

ol'momma, canning eggs is strongly discouraged. There is only one safe recipe that I know of that uses eggs, which is lemon curd.

If you make your Spicy Hot Mustard, I advise you to also give the instruction to refrigerate it and use it in a timely manner, as you have already guessed.

The NCFHFP has some good recipes for chutney, relishes etc. if you want to make something of that nature that is canned and is shelf stable. smile

Oh, Darlene already answered! lol happy02

Well, it is a free world, still. You do have the right to do whatever you want, but I echo everyone. Eggs are just not safe for canning.

This mustard sounds like a delightful recipe!

You might try freezing a jar though as see how it unthaws and tastes. You might need to give it a good stir upon unthawing.

I do know that you can freeze the ingredients...it's worth a shot so you wouldn't be rushed at the last minute around the holidays...

Archived