MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing Potatoes

CanyonCreek

Does anyone have tried-and-true methods for storing potatoes? I've read about storing in boxes filled with hay or sand -- DH wonders if kitty litter (non-scented, non-clumping) would work. We're located in the Pacific Northwest so freezing isn't as much of a problem as moisture.

I love the dried potatoes you can get at Winco bulk section. You can get shredded or sliced. You just soak them in hot water for a few minutes and then you can eat them! I like to fry the shredded into hashbrowns and put the sliced into soups. The potatoes don't break down into mush like they can in soups.

Here is my Kale-sausage soup recipe:

Saute' onion, celery, and italian sausage. Add two hand fulls of dried sliced potatoes, cover with chicken stock. Boil about 5-10 minutes. Add a big bunch of chopped kale. Let wilt. Add half and half and serve.

My kids' favorite!

CanyonCreek, if you find a good way to store in the Pac Northwest, let me know. I live there also, and have tried everything. We can do ok for 2-3 months, then our potatoes take a turn for the worst.

At this point, I'm canning them when I get more than I can store for a couple months.

But I'd sure like to hear from you if you find something that will work in this moist area.

I'm really getting frustrated here. I've never successfully been able to keep potatoes because they sprout so quickly. 3 1/2 weeks ago I decided to try the shredded newspaper in a box...my potatoes are beginning to show tiny sprouts. They are in the dark...not touching...in the garage area...so it's cool. What am I doing wrong?

The best way I know to keep them is to keep them in a tub in a cool, dark, slightly damp place. They keep for months and monhs that way. I've never used paper or sand. Sand is usally used for carrots and sweet potatoes I think.

Archived