MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone??

mom11

Not breaded right? Just plain chicken breast? Sure, they're easy as pie. You can do the raw pack, once they have thawed out. Or, you can cook them and can them in their broth. In other words, just like any other chicken. It's actually easier because no bones to deal with. I think Violet does the chicken cubes out of the boneless breasts. That's a great price, btw!

I don't know what kind of freezer taste might be passed on when you thaw the pieces for a raw pack, so I would roast them for awhile to perk up the flavor and then do a hot pack.

Nice idea though. I've never thought about looking for canning specials in the frozen section before.

If they've been flash frozen and sealed well, there shouldn't be any odors or flavors. Why pre-cook when you're pressure-cooking them in the jar anyway? Just thaw them so you can cut them into pieces for the jar.

If you're concerned about flavor, I add a pinch of salt to mine...a friend of mine added 1/2 tsp of herbs to the pint jar. The dried herb flavor permeated the chicken really nice...very flavorful. She did some with chili powder, some with green chilis, some with poultry seasoning, herbs de provence, etc and some plain. They all have their uses and are all very tasty. yumyum

Also, some people use broth instead of water...I use water. smile

Thanks everybody..... I think I will load up. I have my cow coming on the 5th, so lots of canning to do....I'm quite sick of work, work, work....I also bought 20 bags of cranberries this evening, for 50 cents a bag. Guess Emma and I, will can more cranberry sauce.

Archived