MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dNeed help with UTI

twilap

I have a UTI... for the past 5 days I have been flushing my system with 3-4 liters of water a day and finally gave up and went to the doctor's office this morning. I'm so frustrated.. Doctor was busy so I got stuck seeing a RNP and she was such a putz!

First thing she did was pound and thump on my kidneys and ask me if they hurt... it took all the restraint I could muster to keep from pounding on hers and asking her the same stupid question! Finally told her thru gritted teeth that my kidneys didnt hurt until she started pounting on them!

She put me on a brand new antibiotic that after I bought the darn stuff and started reading all the warnings and side effects... I'm just out of my $$$ because I'm not taking it!

I have Type 2 diabetes and it's taken me 3 months to get my blood sugars under control with oral meds and this stuff has a warning that it can cause Hypo Glycemia... When I called the RNP back and asked her if I needed to do extra AccuChecks and modify my medications she told me no... other diabetics are taking it and she hasn't heard any complaints from them. Hmmmp, I'm not other diabetics and I'm not willing to throw my blood sugars so far off that it will take me weeks or months to correct them again.

Then it says I can't take any NSAID medications with this antibiotic, I take Ibuprophen and Aleeve for severe oseroarthritis... she didnt offer me any "Pain Killers" though, guess I'm just supposed to "tough it out". and soak in the tub till my entire body looks like a wrinkled prune (that is an ugly thought)!

The problem is , I can't drink the cranberry juice because it's full of sugars! mecry I found another antibiotic that I can take in my "med Stash" that I started using this evening but I'd much rather use a more homeopathic, or herbal treatment, rather than take pills. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Twilap,

I've had these happen myself.

I've taken about a bottle to a bottle and a half of concentrated Cranberry Extract. This will NOT mess with your blood sugar. You need to be taking 6-8 capsules every 3 hours. Don't go for a cheap brand, get a GOOD brand that is standardized like Solaray, Oregon's Wild Harvest, or the like. It is more expensive than the cheap ones but in this case you get what you pay for.

Also, water with lemon juice helps to "irritate" the urinary tract and move the infection 'out'. Taking Vit C is also a very good thing. We use EmergenC. It's in effervescent and comes in different flavors.

Hope this helps.

I treated my with pure organic cranberry juice, no sugar added, available at the health food store and vitamin C tablets about 2 grams every two or three hours.

The cranberry juice is hard to get down cause it's unsweetened but I gotta tell you, I drank about 1/2 of the quart jar and the infection banished in just a few hours after having suffered for several days.

Uva Ursi, aka Bear Berry, aka Knick Knick is an herbal remedy used all over the world by native peoples and it works. I get the capsules from Puritan's Pride. It only activates in the urinary tract, doesn't mess with your blood sugars and should not be taken with cranberry juice. It only works if the urine is alkaline, as when you have an infection. Cranberry juice acidifies the urine.

Oh CGA, thanks for the reminder of UvaUrsi. I forgot that I reach for a "UTI Blend" if the cranberry doesn't work. It has UvaUrsi in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Puritan's Pride sells a concentrated, no-sugar-added cranberry syrup that can be put into water or juice and consumed that way. I make my own sugar-free flavored yogurt with this, plus their conceentrated black cherry juice (also no-sugar-added).

Here's a list of food that will alkalinize the urine:

"foods that alkalinize the urine:

almonds, beet greens, beets, buttermilk, chestnuts, citrus fruits, coconuts, cream, dairy products, dandelion greens, fruits (except cranberries, prunes, plums), kale, milk, molasses, mustard greens, nuts, spinach, turnip greens, vegetables (except corn and lentils)"

homecaregroup

Archived