MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pressure Canner Suggestions, Anyone?

TurtleMama

I am in the market for a pressure canner, and just found a 23-quart Presto pressure canner on Amazon for $71!!! That seems like a screaming deal, but wanted to check here before I made the committment to see if anyone knew if it's a good canner. All my pressure cookers are Kuhn Rikon and I'm not familiar with Presto...I want to make sure I'm getting a good and safe canner!

I trust y'alls opinions and just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by purchasing one of these. Here's the exciting part: it fits SEVEN quart jars!! :cele: What I use right now to can only fits three! hehehe

Thanks in advance for your responses!

I am in the market for a pressure canner, and just found a 23-quart Presto pressure canner on Amazon for $71!!!

Can you link to it? I have a Presto 23 (or is it 21? I can never remember, it does hold 7 qt), and I like it. It's the only one I've ever had, so I don't have much knowledge to compare. :) The Presto was one that was recommended to me for cooking on my glass cooktop. You can get a three piece weight set to convert it to a weighted gauge instead of the dial gauge.

Here's one question that comes to mind, is it a dial guage or a weighted guage. I strongly suggest a weighted guage as do many other canners around here.

Hmmm...that's a good question, Steph!

Here's the link Josephine:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-23-Quart-Pres...0794&sr=8-1

If you convert it to a weighted guage, will that make it like my pressure cooker that has the first red ring for 10 lbs and the second red ring for 15 lbs? It's good to know that it can be converted if necessary...

:)

A good price and I do suggest the three piece weight set along with it and use as a weighted gauge canner so you don't have to keep getting the dial tested. It would have to be tested before use and then each year, too.

If your cooker only holds 3 quart jars it is unsafe to use as a canner. It must hold at least 4 qt. sized jars in order to be used to can in.

Yes, the weights will be like your cooker. Use the correct one for your altitude and what you are canning.Normally the 10 lb. weight.

Order part 50332 from Presto for it.

Archived