MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Chicken Soup NEED HELP

skiffgirl

This is my first post and I am freaking out. :unsure:

I made chicken soup yesterday and when I made it I sliced up small fingerling potatoes with thin skins in to slices about 3/4 of a inch thick and added those. Now I read that you are not supposed to can with the skins on whole canned potatoes. Does this also count for soup? Did I really ruin all my jars of soup. :(

As Violet will attest to, scrubbing doesn't eliminate the potential problem. Fortunately the 'potential' is not that great and we are dealing with soup that can -- and should be -- brought to a boil when it is taken out of the jar in order to kill potential toxins. The chances are slim that you would have a problem.

In the future remove the peels for safety sake.

Yep, potatoes need peeling. Here is what one safety site says : It is from Dr. Angela Fraser, who is very well known in the field of food preservation safety. Dated 2008 from Clemson Univ. You will find this on other well known food safety sites, as well.

Thoroughly wash fruits and vegetables before canning even if they will be peeled. Garden soil contains bacteria. NOTE: Potatoes must be peeled before canning. Potato skins contain a high bacteria count increasing the chance of botulinum toxin formation during storage.

http://www.foodsafetysite.com/consumers/re...es/canning.html

Archived