MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you had $125 for groceries for the month....

If you have issues with gluten, then you're probably going to have problems with oatmeal, if my memory serves me correctly.

Gluten-free oatmeal costs a small fortune, as it's grown on wheat-free fields and tested repeatedly. Some celiacs still can't handle it. It's one of those judgment call things.

For those looking for GFCF eating, Maggie from www.hillbillyhousewife.com has started a new blog at www.frugalabundance.com where she has been blogging about her lifestyle change into gluten-free, casein-free eating. I haven't checked back in awhile since she has taken some time away but from what I can remember she goes through frugal ideas and reports what worked and didn't work.

I think I'll zip off to there right now and check things out again!! :D

Thanks. I've seen her site before. I remember shuddering at her writings about margarine when she was running the original site- we're strictly whole and unprocessed foods.

I write whole food cookbooks that are gluten-free for a living, so I'm pretty well versed in the hows. And I'm thankful. I can't imagine trying to go GF at the same time as only have $125 for groceries for a month!

What I wound up doing is going to the farmer's market and buying a 50-pound sack of potatoes for $16 and a lot of kale for 75 cents a bunch and a 40-pound box of sweet potatoes for $10. I'm doing porridge of one type or another every morning for breakfast, or an egg dish now that our chickens are really starting to lay well. I'm also doing a lot of low-meat meals and soup meals. I actually think I'll wind up getting through this month at or under the $125!

I wanted to update everyone.

We had an emergency that wiped out our emergency fund and then some. Then, we had an emergency dental appointment for my daughter- a tooth abscessed. So our grocery budget went to zero. I'm now having to eat totally off of the preps we have and a $25 gift card that we got from a local store.

I've noticed that there hasn't been any mention of deer meat. You can mix it with ground beef 50/50 and it doesn't really change the taste of most dishes, or there are some good ways to eat it on its own.

If you are like me and don't have anyone in the family who hunts, you can make other arrangements. I had someone I know ask me if I would allow him to set up a deer stand on my property at some future date, if he would split whatever he might take down here with me. Some other things I've been willing to barter for have been: firewood, we have a good bit of trees that need to come down anyway; crocheted afagans; and the single guys love to trade for things like home baked items or loads of laundry washed, dryed and folded up for them to pick up (especially if they don't have there own washer or dryer). I am new at the barter thing but plan on putting it to more use as time goes on.

Anyway doing this, a person spends less money at the store on meat and can use that money to buy other needed items.

If your gluten free ( I was for 10 years) try mixing soya flour with rice flour, it makes a stodgy dough, and dont roll it, make small balls and pat it into place then join together. Once cooked its really yummy!

Archived