MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Green Beans

Yart

I did this a lot last year. If I didn't have enough for a full canner load or if I had something else going on I would blanch and freeze then can later. I can't tell any difference between these and the ones I didn't freeze.

I did this last year, also. It works just fine. Just treat the beans as you would fresh and can as directed. Nobody here could tell the difference.

Canned Nerd - I do own the Ball complete book of home preserving, the Kerr home canning and freezing book and also the Sunset Home Canning book. None of which say if it is ok to can green beans once they have been frozen. That is why I came in here to the forums to ask.

My apologies. I missed the pre-frozen part, but it should not affect the canning if you properly blanched them for a few minutes before freezing. And there is no need to 'boil' them first since you can do a raw pack into the jars (page 64).

Processing, whether raw or hot packed, would be 20 minutes for pints or 25 minutes for quarts, at 10# at sea level in a pressure canner.

One might also consider adding a small amount of Calcium Chloride to each jar to keep the green beans firmer after processing. Calcium Chloride used to be known as "Pickle Crisp".

Archived