MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade Hot Chocolate

I've got a request for y'all.

Does anybody have a really good recipe for homemade Hot Chocolate?

I tried one that was in one of Peggy Layton's Emergency Prep books, and the boys all thought it wasn't chocolate-y enough.

Everything I've found online uses regular store-bought hot choolate as a base. (HUH??? :huh: )

I would like something that's on the more chocolate-side of things, creamy, but not overbearingly sweet.

Any suggestions??

Thanks a bunch!

Hi-

This is may be not what you are looking for but it is the one we use. We have a dairy farm so we already have the milk. We mix 6 cups of sugar and 4 cups of cocoa as the base mix. In the morning we take 1/2 cup of this and like 1/4 cup of hot water and heat it. When this bubbles, I add 3-4 cups milk and heat.

Colleen

I mix unsweetened cocoa with a bit od water into a paste (sugar optional), and then stir a spoonful into a cup of hot milk. It's intensly chocolate and velvety rich.

You can also make Spanish cocoa...mix a big spoonful each of sugar, unsweetened cocoa, and cornstarch. Gradually add a quart of milk, stirring all the while. Heat til boiling (keep stirring) and thick. Drink it right then and there or let it cool and add milk later and shake it for a milkshake. Or let it cool and don't add the milk and eat it as a pudding.

Oops--sorry about that Pogo!

*shifty-eyed look*

You know how often I come into this thread???

Or into my kitchen if I can help it? :blink:

I venture into this territory sheerly for love of the Manlings. *sigh* :wub:

Thanks for the ideas, ladies. I'm gonna print these off, go check out those links, and then see if I can 'slip' the taste trials past an unsuspecting Manling or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived