MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Herb Santolina

sassenach

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761582776/santolina.html

Santolina

Encyclopedia Article

Santolina, common name for a group of about eight species of fragrant, Mediterranean plants with silvery gray leaves, members of the family of composite flowers. The group includes shrubs, subshrubs (plants with stems that are woody at the base and green at the top), and herbs. In mild climates santolina species are evergreen (they retain their foliage throughout the year). They are suited for dry, poor, sandy soil and tolerate both extreme cold and heat. Santolinas prefer full sun and do not tolerate humidity well. They can survive winter temperatures as low as -23° C (-10° F).

The name santolina is most often used for an evergreen subshrub also known as lavender cotton (unrelated to true lavender). It forms a low mound about 30 to 60 cm (about 10 to 20 in) high and 0.6 to 2 m (2 to 6 ft) wide. The woolly, silvery hairs on its camphor-scented leaves and upright stems give it a whitish-gray appearance and help it retain water. The narrow, short leaves are deeply divided and have a bumpy, rubbery texture. The disk-shaped, yellow or white flowers are about 2 cm (about 0.75 in) in diameter and set singly on stalks 60 cm (20 in) high in summer. Holy flax is a green-leafed version of lavender cotton, with creamy yellow flowers.

The unique color and low habit of santolina species have made them popular as hedges for dividing sections in traditional English gardens. They are also used in herbal wreaths and potpourri. From the Middle Ages until the 18th century, santolina was used as a strewning herb (it was spread, or strewn, across the floor as an insect repellent, disinfectant, and to mask odors). The flowers and seeds were used to treat ringworm and intestinal worms. Pliny, the Roman naturalist, claimed that wine in which santolina had soaked was an antidote for snake bites.

Scientific classification: Santolinas belong to the family Asteraceae (formerly Compositae). Lavender cotton is classified as Santolina chamaecyparissus and Holy flax as Santolina virens.

Santolina in wine for snakebite then..... lol...... against diamondback rattlesnakes maybe, in Mexico?

Actually the Santolina I had was sort of like the evergreen description, would certainly do well in a dry climate, but was not bumpy leafed at all, was smoother more like pine needles are but wider, shorter leaves, deeply grooved however, but smooth..... never bloomed in my care so I do not know what kind of flowers it would have bore.

Certainly could be a border plant I guess. Still don't think it very useful when there are many other herbs native to North America that would serve such purposes as listed above for herbal remedies. So, not necessary to have any then.

But thanks for posting the descriptions!

Archived