MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Corn Free, no cook candy

I've been experimenting (UH-OH!) to come up with something tasty, doesn't require a lot of work, and no corn. This is because daughter can't eat corn but should have some goodies occasionally.

What I've come up with, so far is to mix powdered milk with honey (half powdered milk, half honey). I use non instant so don't know how that would work with instant.

Mix well then add flavor that is compatable with honey. Cinnamon or ginger or peanut butter are great. I'm going to try some others. I wasn't too thrilled with lemon juice, but if I get lemon powder again I'll try that.

When it is good and thick and you can't really stir it, about the texture of nougant, spread on nonstick surface about 1/2 inch thick and set in fridge overnight. Score the candy into 1/2 inch cubes first. Next day roll pieces in sugar if you like or dip in melted baking chocolate. Be sure pieces are still cold when dipping. Use a toothpick to spear the pieces. Set the dipped pieces on wax paper and stick in fridge.

You can experiment with chopped nuts and dried fruit too.

This is gluten free.

Trish,

This sounds yummy. I will experiment with my Dari-Free milk substitute to see if it could also be dairy free as well! This is a great idea...THANKS for posting this!

Judy, I've been going to ask you about your Dari-free. It says it's potato based but I couldn't find anywhere on their web site that it gave the ingredients. Can you give me an idea of what is in it?

Also, I wondered if the fact that it was potato based would affect people with arthritis as a lot of the nightshade family do. Anyone know?

Trish, that recipe sounds like something I might want to experiment with. I'm still testing food allergens but I sure miss something sweet once in a while or for a special treat. I wonder if it could be used as a frosting for a GF desert.

Something that I experimented with recently was coconut milk, sunflower seeds, and dates. I blended the sunflower seeds until they were a fine meal, added cut up dates and blended them up as well. They made a sort of spread in themselves but was a bit dry so I added canned coconut milk until it was a creamy consistancy. No exact amounts here but I probably used a half cup of sunflower seeds, 10 or 12 pitted dates, and a fourth or more cup of coconut milk. It was good on a rice cracker and wasn't bad on a fresh pear. It wasn't bad just plain lie a pudding actually. LOL

I've also used sunflower seeds ground until smooth with honey to make a 'butter'. I have a peanut butter maker that I use for this usually but have done it in the blender if I keep stirring the mixture down into the blades.

Can she have dried fruit? One of my favorite treats in the past was a mixture of dried fruit ground into a thick mixture. I make them into small balls and roll them in crushed nuts, toasted coconut, or toasted oatmeal.

Thanks for the suggestion of the honey and milk.

:bighug2:

Yes, she can have any fruit and we use a lot of it.

I am going to try sunflower seeds too. Hadn't thought of using coconut milk in them.

My Wonder Jr is supposed to ship this week. It has been on back order for months. I will be able to grind oily nuts with it to make nut butters. Seems to me that most of the nutrition from nuts is lost unless you grind them. Most people don't chew them that well.

Judy, I've been going to ask you about your Dari-free. It says it's potato based but I couldn't find anywhere on their web site that it gave the ingredients. Can you give me an idea of what is in it?

Oh.. certainly. The ingredients are :

Maltodextrin (from potatoes), Natural Flavors (no MSG), Crystalline Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, colored with Titanium Dioxide (an inert mineral), Carrageenan, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), dl Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin K1, Thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Biotin.

I called them at one point to ask if the crystalline Fructose was made of corn. Some of it is, but this product has never given me a reaction. I was told by my doctor that this kind of fructose is likely so processed that the molecular structure no longer resembles that of corn and thus I don't react. However, on some corn message boards, others have reported reactions to this product. Just so you know.

That was fast Judy, thanks so much. I can see the maltodextrin and fructose alone will be my undoing. Darn. Maltodextrin has bothered me in the past and I showed extremely intolerent to fructose even in fruits.

I had rice milk once made almost to the same formula and reacted to it even though I don't normally react to rice.

I haven't tried milk in my rotation diet yet but hopefully I will be able to have that.

Thanks, both of you, for this info.

:bighug2:

Archived