MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SOS! New To Canning!

Hello Veteran Canners....

I have never canned one single, solitary thing in my whole life. I read alot of these forums before daring to ask some "dumb" beginner questions! If there is a basic "How to Can" thread, please direct me to it! Meanwhile....

I've heard of canning fruits and veggies, but only recently did I ever hear of canning MEAT! Not only meat, but chili, spaghetti, cakes and ..well I'm just amazed!!

When you talk about "pressure" canning, I don't know what you mean. What are some very simple basics to canning?

Also...when you vacuum-seal things in bags, is that for looooong-term storage?? Most posts say they put the bags in the freezer, so it's confusing...what if there is no refridgeration or freezing possible?

THANK YOU in advance, for your expertise and guidance! I admire you all so much!

Ruth

I've heard of canning fruits and veggies, but only recently did I ever hear of canning MEAT! Not only meat, but chili, spaghetti, cakes and ..well I'm just amazed!!

When you talk about "pressure" canning, I don't know what you mean. What are some very simple basics to canning?

Also...when you vacuum-seal things in bags, is that for looooong-term storage?? Most posts say they put the bags in the freezer, so it's confusing...what if there is no refridgeration or freezing possible?

Hello! Yes, you can can meat and chili, etc, but not spaghetti or cakes. You shouldn't can anything that has oil, flour, or pasta in it (those are just a few can't cans). I will let other explain exactly what pressure canning is though.

Vacuum sealing is for long term storage, as is sealing with Mylar and oxygen absorbers. I and others put the bags in the freezer first off to kill bugs.

If you are interested in canning, you can read the Ball Blue Book of Preserving ($5 or so) which has the basic information about the whole thing. Great for beginners and is considered the Bible for all canners. You can also go to this website and read the information:

Basic Canning Guides and Beginner's Guide to Home Canning

Vacuum-sealing is just a better way of storing items than a ziplock bag since it removes the air from bag and seals it. Great for freezer storage since it will prevent freezer burn. Also great for storing dry goods on the pantry shelf to help prevent stuff from going stale and keeping bugs out. It is NOT a method of preserving food like canning.

I have been trying to reply for some time today. My computer would not let me.

So, I copied my note so I could send now. If I repeat what others have said, please forgive me.

Buying a current copy of the Ball Blue book would help you, as well as what I am posting below. Be sure it is current as some guidelines have changed over the years.

I hope this helps. Ask away if you have more questions.

Ruth,

You will get lots of good information by reading from this link: http://128.192.83.157/faq/FAQ_home.php

You cannot can cakes or breads, contrary to some opinons. You can get botulism from that. Canning any dairy, butter, cheese, and besides a very few HIGHLY acidified things with oil are not safe to can. Nothing with any flour, eggs, noodles, rice, and barley are safe to can. It depends upon whether a food has enough natural acid whether or not it can be done in boiling water bath or if it needs a pressure canner. Some things are unsafe to can because density also affects canning. If it is too thick and dense the heat cannot penetrate the food to kill botulism and other spoilage microorganisms.

Pressure canning means you have to buy a special pressure canner. Botulism in low acid foods, like beans, meats, poultry can be destroyed at temps. higher than boiling water temperatures. You can only do that under pressure. Even if you boil water from now until you die you cannot get it hotter than 212 degrees at sea level. Botulism cannot be killed that way.

Vacuum sealing is not a way to preserve foods. It is only a storage system, like a freezer bag or for dried things. It removes air from the bags and that is all. It doesn't kill any bacteria or keep it from growing.

There is a free online course you can take that would really benefit you, too. It is from the same website. This is the leading authority on home food preservation.

Scroll down to the green box, below you can sign up for the classes.

Also, on the left hand side are slide shows you can watch to help you out.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

If you wish to persue this and need help in selecting a pressure canner, let us know. There are posts on it, too.

Too bad you did not live nearby since we are teaching lessons here. A whole series of six classes.

Archived