MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I did it! But you could some reassurance...

I've never pressure canned before and just got a pressure canner this week.

I canned the "Nanna's Kick As*" soup according to the method Darlene lists in the post above. I cooked the chicken, strained the broth, chopped up carrots, celery, onion (and parsnips and more garlic added too), put chicken and veggies half full and filled it with the broth. I did skim it some but I didn't get that much off it, so I hope that's ok. I have a weighted gauge Presto and used 15 lbs of pressure due to my higher altitude on 4 quarts for 90 minutes. (We ate some so it was only four!)

It should be ok, right? I've been getting "meats are nothing to trifle with" concerns from people regarding canning, but from everything I'm reading, when it comes to botulism, the most silent canning killer, green beans can be as deadly as meat when not properly canned, but people do those all the time.

I heard multiple little pops, and one or two big pops while they slowly cooled. This morning I checked them. A few were mildly greasy feeling on top and smelled like chicken soup, but they all seemed sealed. One, maybe my imagination, seemed to move down just a touch more when I touched the top, but it must have been my imagination because it is definitely sealed and one would think a break in the seal would make the vacuum release and it would pop out. There is a little more than the 1 1/4" head space in one or two, but it's still very close.

I did ok, right? In a few weeks my dh insists on being the guinea pig. We don't get to eat it until he's fine a few days later. ;)

Sometimes a little will leak out when they are in the canner which is why some have a little less in them now and feel a little greasy. Be sure to remove the rings and wash the jars in warm soapy water before storing them. It is not necessary to leave the ring on once the jars are sealed and if you do they sometimes will rust and be very hard to get off. Always be sure to leave proper headspace in the jar for the item you are canning. This will help you have less problems when it comes to some liquid boiling out and improve your chances of a good seal.

Keep up the good work, and just in case make sure DH life insurance is paid up before he tries the soup. :laughkick:

I always feel like the warm soapy washing is a good test of the seals. While the jars are in the water, I gently press up on the edge just to make sure it's all good.

You did GREAT Mandomom!!!

Archived