MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Went to Costco

I haven't been to Costco in a long time, so when I went this week I had a very long list. I managed to fit it all into one cart, but, after checkout, I left with two carts. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent, but you can imagine.

I have a new pet peeve---second only to having products I use regularly and love disappear---and that is when a familiar product (food or non-food) has a change in packaging. I'm not talking about providing less and charging more, I'm talking about a different type or shape of package. You see, I have my storage very carefully planned out and when the shape of the packaging changes I often have to do a LOT of rearranging or find a completely different place to store those items. That happened with several items this week. Going to Costco, loading and unloading the van, and getting everything put away took the WHOLE DAY, mostly because of the need to find different ways to store several items.

This is only a minor complaint however. Mostly, I'm relieved that I was finally able to go to Costco and restock. Despite the huge shopping trip this week, I've come up with a list of additional items I'll need to go back and get next week---not nearly as much, but it will probably fill one cart.

That would be a chore, having to rearrange your storage every time you shopped. I bet it feels good though, being able to get what you need. :)

Thankfully, I don't have to rearrange every time I shop. I think I had more problems this time because it had been quite a while since I shopped at Costco and I bought so much. Among everything, there were a number of items for which the packaging had changed quite a bit. Just one example---I buy the Costco brand AA batteries, and they used to come in a compact box which didn't take up much room on my shelves and stacked easily. That has now been changed to a much larger piece of cardboard, with the batteries held in place on the cardboard backing by plastic. Takes up more room and doesnt stack very well. Not a big deal, but when the sizes and shapes change on a lot of items all at once it does require some rethinking and rearranging.

And, yes, you are right----it feels very good to get restocked on so many things.It's been weighing on my mind for quite a while that I needed to do this, and I feel so much better now.

I know what you mean about finding a product at Costco that you love and then they discontinue the item. I loved their large cans of dehydrated Bear Creek potato soup. Perfect for food storage - just add water and you have a hearty soup. I also loved the giant cans of chili they used to carry. Both these items are gone now. :(

The Hormel bacon bits in the can....

oh we miss those so much. :shakinghead: They don't even sell them in the silly pouch anymore. We tried the Costco brand, and wound up feeding them to the chickens.

• 2 weeks later...
Just one example---I buy the Costco brand AA batteries, and they used to come in a compact box which didn't take up much room on my shelves and stacked easily. That has now been changed to a much larger piece of cardboard, with the batteries held in place on the cardboard backing by plastic. Takes up more room and doesnt stack very well.

Not only that but now once opened, there is no containment and they can escape, get confused with "used up" batteries, and basically become a nuisance. <_<

Archived