MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mexican Skillet Casserole

I made this for dinner tonight (we eat early). It was really good.

I started with this recipe but changed it up a bit.

http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/one-di...-skillet-g.html

Instead of tomato soup and salsa I used a can of Rotel and a can of tomato sauce and I added 1/2 a package of taco seasoning I had open already. I served refried beans on the side and sour cream to garnish. Guacamole would have been excellent too.

Mexican Skillet Casserole

1 lb. ground beef

1 can Rotel*

1 sm can tomato sauce

Taco seasoning to taste

6 flour tortillas cut into 1" pieces

1 cup (or more) shredded Cheddar cheese

Brown beef in skillet. Pour off fat. Season to taste. I use seasoned salt, garlic powder and greek seasoning. Add Rotel, tomato sauce and taco seasoning and simmer for 10-15 mins over low heat.

Stir in cut up tortillas until they are covered with sauce. Top with cheese, cover and cook over low heat 5 min. or until cheese has melted. Serve with refried beans.

* Rotel is a combination of diced tomatoes and green chiles. It comes in a variety of hotnesses. It's very common here in the South. I could get it in Nevada too. It might be more of regional thing though, I'm not sure.

Prickle that sounds really good. I would add chopped or sliced black olives and diced green chilis too. Thanks.

I hear other folks mention rotel, what is it?

Rotel is a combination of diced tomatoes and green chiles. It's common in the South. Not sure if it's available everywhere.

Sounds good Prickle! Will probably add some corn too, make it stretch a little further. The Rotel here is about a dollar for the 10 oz. can, probably more by now. I have used the Save Alot version, I think about 69 cents a can, with good results. Those have probably gone up too. Or I just use diced tomatoes, whether fresh or canned, and add our own chilies.

Archived