MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ball pitcher question

YYY

Hi Everybody,

At a thrift store today, I found an old Ball wide mouth pitcher. I know that I can not put on a lid and ring to seal it, but were there ever any “tops / covers” for it that you know of? I’d sure like to have one for it.

Thanks in advance,

YYY

Canned Nerd,

THAT'S IT !!! I was coming here to tell Violet that I couldn't find a picture of it, and I came here and you had found one for me. Thank you.

I must be "selling illiterate". I was looking at all the canning stuff that's for sale at that site. I know I've seen some of those things at thrift shops but didn't get them because I couldn't think of any use for them. In addition, I think I've thrown out some of those things that are being sold because I was decluttering to gain more storage space. I also keep forgetting that some people call them fruit jars - not canning jars.

I still would like an answer to my original question ... were there ever any “tops / covers” for the pitchers that you know of? I’d sure like to have one for it.

Happy Memorial Day,

YYY

It's not really a "canning jar" so it might be confusing calling it that. Since it has a spout like a regular pitcher I doubt it ever had a lid. You might find a coffee or other product plastic lid of the appropriate size, if you are lucky, and then I would just trim it where the spout is. At least it would keep most of the flies out.

These were sold as a novelty item when the 'ball' drinking mugs and salt/pepper shakers came out. They're not terribly expensive and I don't think they ever had a lid. I usually use saran and a rubber band. :)

I have the shakers and the mugs, I'd love to find a pitcher.

Never knew there was one, but now that I know they are around I'm going to keep an eye out.

The previously posted link for an eBay auction is still open for a couple more hours as of this posting, if you are interested. Otherwise post a search request on eBay and you will be emailed when it shows up again.

Archived