MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

sprouting onions

Blondie here bought a 10kg bag of them before she left for Germany. Came back to find DS had not used them (quite right, he'd had to have eaten 2kg a week the poor thing).

So now we have large bag of sprouting onions. Since throwing them on the compostheap is easy and tempting but not very frugal, I wondered if anyone knows of something to do with them.

The garden is tiny so no room to stick them in the ground.

I do have a dehydrator but dunno if they're good enough and if it'd be a waste of time and leccy.

If anyone has suggestions for this tightfisted cloggy, please post them :)

You couldn't use them for regular oniln bulbs, but if you could plant them somewhere they could be for green onions. I've even had them grow in my compost bin.

I've dehydrated green onions and used it for a seasoning like oniln powder.

eat them, plant them, freeze them, dry them... throw them in the compost pile and they will grow!

ok, plant them among your shrubs, flowers, behind them actually since they throw up the most beautiful globe flower!

I'm all for tossing them wherever I was planting ANYTHING. They keep pesties away rather well. You can grow them in flower boxes as well as larger pots.

For those that didn't make it, peel them and freeze them. Add them to cooking! :) You can also dry them.

Archived