MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Great Site! Looking forward to sharing innovations.

FoodWise Storage

Hello everyone, my name is Brent. My wife, Kristi, and I have been very involved in personal preparedness for quite some time. We live in the greater Phoenix metro area and were quite surprised to find the lack of resources for food storage and emergency preparedness here after having lived in Utah. So......we decided to open our own store here in Gilbert, AZ. WOW! Has it taken off!

We have a different approach than the traditional food in #10 cans. We have found through research that individuals are extremely reluctant to open a large can and use the contents. The mentality is "I have my stash, I'm not going to open it". Since January we have been processing freeze dried and dehydrated food as well as rice, beans, spices and grains in #1 PETE containers. We have found that food stored in PETE will last just as long as food in a #10 can with none of the drawbacks. You can open the jars, use the amount of food you want and re-seal it without effort, there is no "tin taste", here in the desert if cans are exposed to much temperature change they tend to "sweat" hence canned sugar gets hard and clumpy due to condensation. Also, you can't see what is in a can.

We are also finding that not only is freeze dried and dehydrated food more nutritious than produce in the grocery store but people are saving 20% - 50% on their grocery bill by using our food.

I just wanted to introduce ourselves and share what we do. This seems like the appropriate forum. We would love to hear what individuals are interested in and what would make planning, preparation and purchasing simpler and more convenient for those who are concerned and wish to be provident like we do.

Looking forward to your input and feedback.

--------------------------

FoodWiseLogo.jpg

854 E Williams Field Rd # 105

Gilbert, AZ 85295

480-370-8618

info@foodwisestore.com

Welcome Brent and Kristi!

I sent you a PM (Private Message), so please watch for it.

I'm just racing through at the moment, but I wanted to welcome you and let you know that I'm looking forward to learning more about your store by exploring your website.

I think dehydrated food also is a plus because it's less bulky and easy to store. Check out the threads we have on dehydration, and ways to use the food, in our forum "Preserving the Harvest"

Who knows, maybe you can make up a flyer sending people here for new ways to use their foods. ;)

:welcome:

Welcome Brent and Kristi!

I sent you a PM (Private Message), so please watch for it.

I'm just racing through at the moment, but I wanted to welcome you and let you know that I'm looking forward to learning more about your store by exploring your website.

I think dehydrated food also is a plus because it's less bulky and easy to store. Check out the threads we have on dehydration, and ways to use the food, in our forum "Preserving the Harvest"

Who knows, maybe you can make up a flyer sending people here for new ways to use their foods. ;)

:welcome:

Thanks Cat! We believe that the second most important priority to actually having a "food store" in your home is knowing how to prepare it! That is why we are so excited to be a part of this forum and be able to learn and share with everyone. Using food storage for every day meals is not difficult. We are so dedicated to education on preparation and nutrition that we hold free classes once a week to teach cooking with the basics. Feel free to view our recipes: http://www.foodwisestorage.com/recipes.

I don't want to sound like we are advertising and I will refrain from talking about the store it is just so exciting to see so many people who have wanted this type of resource for so long. We are happy to tell our customers about this forum and we have placed a link on our site pointing to mrssurvival.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

I like that you are using resealable containers. You are so right about opening a can.

Welcome to Mrs. Survival!

off to check out your site.....but before I leave... hand over ALL chocolate!

Thanks for the insight about the number 10 can storage. I used to live in the mojave desert and never would have realized this. I live in the Adirondacks in NY state and even with shipping, with food costs around here, its about the same for me to buy the freeze dried , dehydrated foods online and I am storing some and using others. Since I am just one adult, prepping them to go in a backpack, I think vaccuum sealing them as soon as I can get a foodsaver and such, will make such dehydrated goods and grain mixes and flour type stuff easier for me to carry, although if I do a big BOB set up for a major situation and have to walk out ( no vehicle), I want to just take the no. 10 cans along, as many as I can manage in a wagon/box set up I plan to put together. I can put together 4-5 mos. of food this way.

So I have definitely realized, as well as for SIP situations, in a small apartment, that freeze dried and dehydrated is the way to go for me, because of the amount of actual meals it can provide. Other than that, canning works for having 'fresh meat', ready to eat, and some of my dried beans prepped for quick meals and such things as go in a jar, fruits, jam, pickled stuff, chili, etc are the other way I store and prep stuff. Still, the dehydrated foods are far more mobile and condensed. I don't have the problem of the desert, I have an abundance of water available outside to purify and filter after stored water is used up.

I am glad you posted about yourselves and your business. I am going to give your info you posted on how to contact you to a friend I have in Phx and maybe you will get some business from her. Any suggestions you can give her would help too as this is a new concept to her.

Do you ship items out?

I look forward to more of your posts!. :welcome:

Archived