MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Why does canning have a "season'?

marylp

I have heard about people getting ready for the canning season, I dont understand how this came about, of course and one can do anything at anytime. (Christmas in July). I was wondering if their is a reason why it has a season, I am just now learning about canning and excited about my first recipe, so please excuse the dumb question. Also someone on youtube suggested we buy canning supplies at the end of canning season cuz that is when the supplies go on clearance. I dont know when that is and want to be able to look for it. Anyone know? Thank you, Marylp

Hi Mary,

Right now is the beginning of 'canning season' and you'll start seeing all of the stores getting in canning supplies. This is based on gardening season basically.

If you are lucky enough to see any canning supplies after about 6 weeks, maybe 2 months, according to your area, and it is marked down...grab it. :)

Of course, I'm an odd ball, I'd rather dehydrate my fruits and vegies...and do my canning of meats and pinto beans and chili and soups...in the cooler weather. I can't hardly stand to crank up my pressure canner in the heat of summer.

I have heard about people getting ready for the canning season, I dont understand how this came about, of course and one can do anything at anytime. (Christmas in July). I was wondering if their is a reason why it has a season, I am just now learning about canning and excited about my first recipe, so please excuse the dumb question. Also someone on youtube suggested we buy canning supplies at the end of canning season cuz that is when the supplies go on clearance. I dont know when that is and want to be able to look for it. Anyone know? Thank you, Marylp

Traditionally harvest time would be canning season, as different things have different harvest times pretty much all summer could be considered harvest time. It's pretty much over by October.

In a store like Walmart September is when they start clearing out the summer stuff and putting up the Halloween and Christmas stuff. I'd start keeping an eye out for canning clearance in September.

Excellent recipes can be found in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, which is an inexpensive ($5) and indispensable canning book for the novice and experienced.

It is the BIBLE of canning. :D I read it at bedtime sometimes.

THIS is also a GREAT site to start reading up on canning now.

Archived