MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Recipes for Lentils?

4 cups beef broth

two carrots sliced

1 potato diced

1/2 an onion diced

1 celery stalk sliced

2 cups red lentil (they cook much faster than other lentils)

simmer for 20 min

Serve with fresh homemade bread and butter. The red lentils are also very high in iron.

My very picky eaters love this soup.

K_L

Here is a soup that I make all the time that I converted to use dehydrated veggies and it works fantastic!

Ingredients:

1 lb. smoked sausage (I use skinless) chopped

2 tablespoon dried onions

8 oz. dry lentil

1 cup dried mixed veggies (carrots, green beans, corn, peas.)

46 oz. tomato juice

46 - 55 oz. water

3 beef bouillon cubes

1/2 cup of dry diced potatoes

Directions:

In a dutch oven brown sausage until the sausage is brown and sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add tomato juice, 46 oz. of water, bouillon cubes, veggies, potatoes, onions, and lentil. Bring to a boil then turn down to low. Simmer until all the veggies and lentil are tender. Add water if it thickens to much. We like ours thick like a stew. Serves 8 people. We have bread and butter on the side with this soup.

Enjoy! :)

Diana's Egyptian Lentils Rice

1 cup Brown Lentils

3/4 teaspoon salt

4 1/2 teaspoons olive oil

1 onion -- chopped

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/2 cup rice

5 cups water -- (5-6) or stock

Place the olive oil into the bottom of the crock pot.

Turn the pot onto the highest setting and add the onions.

Allow the onions warm in the oil for 10-15 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients, including the water.

If cooking the dish all day, reduce heat to low, otherwise leave on high setting.

Cover.

Stir the dish while in the crock- If it is dry, add a little water- If it's soup-like, remove lid for a little while, or turn heat to high setting.

It's tasty as a main meal or as a pilaf to accompany other meals- Cook for 8 hours on low or 4-5 on high.

NOTE: Start with 5 cups water or broth- That way it won't be"mushy" if you make this recipe while you're out for the entire day- You can always add more water or broth, but it's hard to"un-mush" lentils rice!

Note for Vegetarian do NOT use chicken broth.

Source: http://www.recipezaar.com/Dianas-Egyptian-Lentils-Rice-96581

The trick to lentils seems to be washing them, washing them, and washing them. Otherwise, they taste like dirt. Sometimes even then, they taste like dirt. But try this:

At least one cup (up to two cups) leftover meatloaf, hamburger, cooked sausage, or leftover barbecue (boned, skinned, not sauced up)(Lamb neck and oxtail are very, very good, but you have to pick at them as you eat -- there's no point trying to pick out the bones until they're well-cooked--so you have to guess at what bony quantity will yield enough meat.)

At least one cup of chopped onion (The sweet salad onions are not nearly as good as the harsh-smelling cooking onions.) Two lady-fist-sized onions would be good.

Two or three cups of other diced root vegetables (turnip, potato, carrot, what-have-you) (The thick, stubby carrots cook up better than the long thin ones.) (Garlic is good, but add less than half a cup of it. Trust me on this, okay?)

Six cups of broth, or water, or water with meat jelly in it

Two cups of uncooked, well-washed dry lentils

Put all this in a slow cooker, with the hardest vegetables on bottom and the meat on top, for six to eight hours on low heat. When you come home, or start getting ready for dinner, taste it and add whatever salt and pepper it might need. Then add:

One pint jar of diced tomatoes or about the same canned, and about half that much salsa, or equivalent total amount of Ro*Tel.

Once you add the tomatoes, start up a large quantity of cornbread or rice. Serve the lentils over or with the rice or cornbread.

Lentil-Rice Burritos

Serving Size : 6

1/2 cup brown rice -- long grain is best

3/4 cup dried lentils

1 onion -- small, chopped

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/4 teaspoon oregano

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon thyme

3 cups chicken broth

Combine all ingredients in oven-proof casserole dish.

Cover and bake in 300 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Add more broth if it starts getting dry.

Serve with flour tortillas, grated cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, etc.

Source: http://www.recipezaar.com/110889

Lentil Soup

1 pound lentils

1 bay leaf

3 large carrots -- peeled and sliced

2 stalks celery -- chopped

1 large onion -- chopped

2 cups crushed tomatoes -- (fresh or canned)

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Pick over lentils to remove any stones, dirt, or other foreign objects. Rinse them well in cold water and place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover lentils by 6 inches. Add the bay leaf.

2. Bring to a boil, skim off foam, lower heat, and boil gently, partially covered, until lentils are just tooth-tender, 20-30 minutes.

3. Add carrots, celery, and onion to the lentils. Cook partially covered till carrots are tender, about 20-30 minutes.

4. Add crushed tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, partially covered, until lentils become very creamy and soft. Stir occasionally and add boiling water if necessary to prevent sticking.

5. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Jingles: I think it depends on the quality of the lentils that you buy and where you get them from. I always rinse them before I use them. By the way where do you get your dried vegies from? I would realy like to get some but I have never seen them in any grociery stores around here. Its a great Idea to use them in soups.

CN: Those recipes sound great I am going to have to try them. I have been looking for more ways to use brown rice.

K_L

oh these are great y'all.

#2 sounds easy,yummy.and another good one #7 and the others do too.

Washing them ? really? I didn't know that.

Thanks for that TiP!

what a great help !

thanks so much everyone!!

off to check out that link.

Archived