MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help!! Bread won't rise!!

Hey there experts!! Wish I had one of you in my kitchen!!

I am trying to make bread. Never have before. I got a basic "beginner" recipe for whole wheat bread. I've tried it about 5 times now.

It does warn that using all whole wheat is more challenging, and suggests using at least part AP flour. I have been trying to use all whole wheat.

It will rise the first time...then I punch it down as directed, and it doesnt rise again. I've tried putting it in a very low oven, that doesnt help.

Today I learned about "enhancers" as in: gluten, potato flakes, vinegar. The article said you can actually use all 3. I am getting frustrated so I tried all 3!! It didn't even rise the first time!!

Am I doing something very wrong, or is whole wheat really just too heavey?? I avoid white flour..is there something healthier I could use to mix with the whole wheat?

I am really looking forward to your tips!!

Thanks!

How long are you letting it rise?

Could you post the recipe, there might be some clues there too.

Extra gluten does help with 100% whole wheat but it *will* be heavier than a white or a white/ww mix.

Whole Wheat Flour doesn't have enough gluten to give a good rise, which is why white flour is added to most recipes. It has more gluten in it. Of course nothing will work if your yeast is not fresh or is being added wrong so it is killed, but I guess that's not a problem if you are getting the first rise.

Here's some additional information:

Successful Whole Wheat Baking

I agree, all whole wheat like that will not be good for bread. Not unless it is whole wheat bread flour, which is different.

Also, when I make bread, I put the dry yeast in half of the flour. It rises up beautifully every time. I never put the yeast in the water to dissolve it.

I also use half whole wheat bread flour and half white bread flour. Honey seems to make the best sweetener to me. The bread is softer, lighter in texture, I think. My family likes it best with honey added.

Archived