MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Garlic in oil?

BooBoo

I have about 3 pounds of garlic sitting in the bottom of the fridge (it was on sale, what can I say? *blush*) Could I pack it in oil somehow like those fancy bottled garlic/roasted red pepper bread-dipper sauces that cost a fortune?

Would just chopping it up/putting it in a jar in olive oil keep it for a while without it getting moldy?

(I have to do something with it - I can smell it from two rooms away whenever somebody opens the fridge *eek*)

You can, however, it must be made up fresh and stored in the 'fridge to be used up in 2 to 3 days. If this is something you want to can, no, it is unsafe to can.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#31

How do I can oil with herbs? Can I can pesto?

Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene practices must be used. Pesto is an uncooked seasoning mixture of herbs, usually including fresh basil, and some oil. It may be frozen for long term storage; there are no home canning recommendations.

Here are the directions for making flavored vinegars, which, when proper procedures are followed, are considered safe.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/...ed_vinegars.pdf

Here is some info about garlic: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uc_d...avis_garlic.pdf

Thanks, PoGo. I like the vinegar idea. I can dehydrate it, too, I guess - and maybe make up some garlic butter & freeze it... I was just trying to do something different with it this time (that'll teach me to impulse buy ;) )

In the 70s and 80s there was a bunch of people putting garlic cloves into olive oil and leaving it on their counters to mingle and then use as "garlic oil". I guess it was good, but eventually the method was tested and found to be very unsafe, as the garlic went ahead and spoiled in the oil.

PoGo's last link about garlic pretty much explains that, and very well!

That link also includes a method for "roasting garlic". If you've never tried that, and you have lots of garlic... DO IT!!! I think we drizzled ours in olive oil with a sprinkle of oregano... :0327: WONDERFUL STUFF!!! It comes out buttery and mild and very tasty on crackers.

(Just be warned... it *can* have a "musical effect" in some people... don't do it, say, the night before church... fartysmile1f.gif )

Ah, roasting, of course! These are all great ideas.

Thanks so much

:)

Miss Cat, where on EARTH did you find the tooting smiley??? LOLOLOL

Oh, that one made me laugh... :D

And roasted garlic is wonderful. :) It's excellent squeezed out onto rustic bread with a good crust...ahh, heaven! :)

Archived