MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm 47 and learned something new, pressure cooking questions

I went to Giffords yesterday, they have stuff that still new from back in the 60's, messiest store i've ever seen. So packed full of junk, you could dig for years. Anywho, husband went to the back to get something repaired and i went to the front. I thought, i bet they have a pressure cooker somewhere in all that mess. They did but were aluminimumnanam....drats. Its still looking like i'll have to get mine online, what and where did you order CGA?

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine last night, UPS arrived very late. Paid about half what i paid for the aluminum one at walmart. I sniped it out from under 10 people on ebay, hehe. Its a Fagor brand, seems really well made. So today i'll cook beans.....

I've been reading the directions and they seem very confusing. On the recipes it has cooking time as, position 1 time 9'........what is 9' or one has time as 75'+9...........what? would that be 84 minutes? it the ' sign thats confusing me.

i went back to the directions and i believe it means pounds, PSI. On the low setting 1, if you go up to 8 PSI, the temp will be 215F. OK, but i dont have a gauge on mine, now i'm even further confused. That wouldnt make sense, 75 PSI would set it off like a rocket.... :0327:

ok, OH looked at the directions and found that i was reading directions in the recipe book that came with the cooker. The directions in it were for cookers with gauges. In the instruction book that came with it too, explains it only has one setting, high. Does this make sense to anyone here?

Ok, i understand it now. I just cooked some bean soup. Amazing at how fast it is, just 10 minutes. My only problem with it is i added too much liquid so its real soupy, but, the broth is very good, so soupy is not a bad thing here.

I'm going to put that away for future meals, and get a roast out to thaw. I want to make some sort of pot roast for tonight.

No jiggler either, i believe from what i read, you keep a constant sound of steam sound on the one i got. I know with my canner, to keep an even pressure, i lower the heat to 2 on my cooktop. Kind of seems this way for the pressure cooker too.

My first attempt on beans worked great, i just didnt have enough beans for the amount of broth. So, i hope i didnt go wrong here, but i fished the beans out, leaving the juice, added unsoaked beans, and am now cooking it again for a longer time, due to the beans being unsoaked.....

Cowgirl,

I don't soak my beans first and they are fine. Takes a bit longer, but not a big deal.

For a roast, let the pressure fall naturally, don't release it or the meat will be tough.

Mine also just lets steam out like that, it doesn't rattle on the cooker. The new ones do that.

In the Miss Vickie book she teaches how to cook meals with a rack for the meat on top. A good one is salisbury steak. The potatoes cook in a broth for gravy and the meat sits on a steamer basket. That is just one of the sort of things you learn from the book.

It worked. I cooked them for 20 minutes and let them cool on their own. Well, i got busy and when it reached 20 minutes, i really needed to do something else so i removed it from the burner and let it set till i had time for it. It came out just fine. And yes, from dry bean to silky soup in 20 minutes is totally amazing.

I wished the one i got came with a rack, but it didnt. I'm sure i can get one somewhere, i'll keep my eyes peeled for one. I want to try pull pork, but i have no pork right now. The kids plan to get one tonight for a party, so, maybe i can talk them out of a shoulder, as long as its not a big boar, they taste nasty.

we can get one out our back door, front door, double gates, back 40, front 40. I rarely go out and not see one. I wished they tasted better because i would love to get free pork, but since they have reverted back to red meat, hams just dont look the same smoked. And, we got a hold of a really really musky boar once, the taste and smell has yet to leave my memory....

Archived