MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm 47 and learned something new, pressure cooking questions

Can anyone tell me why pressure cooking isnt the normal way of cooking? Now, i've only read about it this morning in my canner book so i suppose things will taste good cooking this way. I totally loved the meat i canned last night. I thought, it would have taken me all day to get that meat that tender. I was reading the times on pressure cooking and you can cook a pork shoulder in under an hour. I cooked one in the oven for a whole day, and it still was tough.

Does anyone here cook that way and have any suggestions. I want to cook a fresh pork shoulder into pull pork. Will it hurt my pressure cooker for future canning jobs? Should i get another canner for just pressure cooking?

Aha!! See what happens when you can something for the first time!! Your whole world starts to change! :D

Okay, first piece of info.... A Pressure Cooker is not a Pressure Canner (two separate critters)

You can cook in a Pressure Canner but you can't CAN in a Pressure Cooker. (confused now?) :huh:

Second piece of info.... Pressure Cooking is a wonderful way to prepare foods that would normally take much longer to prepare. For instance, dried beans. Check out this way cool web page.

http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/beanframe.html

I hope several voices of experience chime in here - I'm 47 & learning pressure cooking, too, and so far I've only been successful at burning stuff, not tenderizing anything. The guy in the DVD that came with my set said in Sweden if you were invited to supper and didn't see a pressure cooker on the stove you would have serious doubts about what you'd be eating.

back in the day, i worked at a Del Taco. I was the morning prepper and cooked the beans. Now, i was just 18 when i worked there and didnt realized that i was pressure cooking the beans. Who knew :shrug: Never dawned on me until now. For years i tried to make beans at home taste as good as those did at Del Taco. I figured it was the giant block of lard :yum3::whistling: i refused to add at home, but i think its the softness of the bean the pressure cooker was making them. For sure going to try beans. I may look into a smaller 'pressure cooker' instead of the monster 'canner/pressure' cooker i have. But this big one would be perfect for a large piece of meat. The thought of not having to heat up my house in the summer sounds sooo nice!

((BooBoo))

Sorry you've had a bad go with the Pressure Cooking so far, it really can be great when you've got it down pat. I don't know what you've tried so far, but you can't imagine how tender a piece of meat can get when it is cooked at the proper time.

And yep, cowgirl, those beans pressure cooked are WONDERFUL! That's why I've been Pressure Canning some of my dried bean storage. You can have that great taste and texture at your fingers tips.

Not only does it keep the heat out of the kitchen, it would save on fuel in a crisis situation.

Here's another interesting link...

http://discoverpressurecooking.com/tips.html

Thanks for the link. It was good to see how the weights are suppose to rock. Luckily, i had it right, but its good to know for sure.

If my oldest daughter runs to paris today, i may tag with her to get a smaller 'pressure cooker'. I'm in a learning mood!

I use a six quart size stainless steel pressure cooker. It will hold a small roast. If it is larger than the bottom of my cooker, I cut in half.

I like stainless for cooking instead of aluminum, like the canner is. If you use anything acidic in the aluminum, it can taste metallic.

I highly recommend buying Miss Vickies book on pressure cooking.

I second the aluminum vs stainless steel... I won't cook in plain aluminum unless it's something like a cook-over-the-campfire quickie thing. Cuts down on the possibility of aluminum leaching into the foods.

No matter the pressure cooker... when you're cooking with a pressure cooker/canner (foods directly *in* the pan), you have more opportunity for foods to clog the hole/holes that will regulate the pressure.

Usually the first time is ok... everything's soft and cooked. It's when you washed it up and forgot to be sure the holes were clear, then food dries in it, and *then* you have problems.

And cowgirl8... a little lard added to those beans probably wouldn't hurt, if you realy want them to taste more like the other beans. :shrug:

I just ran all the way to Paris to get a pressure cooker. Thats about a 80 mile round trip. I'm sitting on my couch and reading over the directions and gosh darn, i cant use it on my glass top stove. :pout::motz_6::beat_deadhorse: I guess it goes back. It was the only one in town, so i'll go check out ebay. I was so excited, i even bought beans to cook for tonight. :feedme::misc-smiley-231:

Cowgirl,

What is the problem with using it on the glass top stove ? If you are not supposed to pressure cook, then how is it you can use a pressure canner on it ? I don't see the difference. I am not telling you to risk it, but wondering what it says. What would be different with another brand of pressure cooker ? The size should be smaller than the pressure canner.

I am assuming you are using a Presto canner. Is that right? They seem to be the only ones that say you can use theirs on the glass top stoves. As long as the stove maker says canning on it is OK.

This is from Miss Vickie : http://missvickie.com/howto/electric%20stoves.html

Most stainless steel and aluminum pressure cookers will work on gas, electric coil, and ceramic glass (smooth-top) ranges. However, because pressure cookers are typically not magnetic, most will not work on induction type ranges. Check your manufacturer’s instruction manual. Each time you clean or use your pressure cooker, check to be sure the bottom has not been damaged. Nicks and scratches may leave sharp edges that can damage ceramic stovetops or other smooth surfaces. Always lift your pressure cooker to remove it from the burner. Sliding any type of cookware can leave scratches on stovetops.

Glass top stoves - These stovetops cycle on and off repeatedly -- even as frequently as every few seconds -- this is normal. Most manufactures do not officially recommend aluminum in case it melts and leaves a residue on the cook top. Use a stainless steel pressure cooker with a 3-ply base if you own one of these stoves.

If you are having problems with food burning on your glass top stove, despite your best efforts to lower or adjust the heat, then call for service and have the heat calibrated and adjusted if possible. Click here to read about the differences between aluminum and stainless steel pressure cookers. See my recommendation about buying new cookers here.

You will find some here on this link for glass top stoves :

http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_35.htm

It says in the manual that it wont work on them due to the curved bottom. It also has a hollowed out space, so only a small part touches the burner. My canner has a flat bottom and it worked great like it said on the box, but I failed to read the box, I was too excited about getting one, I just grabbed it and ran...lol....I also cant find anywhere where it says what its made of. They've gotten so good at making aluminum look like stainless, I cant tell. I'll assume its aluminum since it doesn't have a separate aluminum plate for heat distribution on bottom.

I'm finding several on ebay.170335400359, i cant tell if this is a pressure cooker, it says it is in the description..

Oh, I see. No, it won't work with the curved bottom. Rats ! The ones I sent in the link above will work, though.

If you are buying in person, take a magnet with you. The magnet should stick to the bottom of the stainless ones. Won't stick to the aluminum ones from my experience. The box should also say what it is made out of.

Normally the canners will be about 16 quart size on up. The cookers are smaller than that. Canners are aluminum, not stainless.

I'm finding several on ebay.170335400359, i cant tell if this is a pressure cooker, it says it is in the description..

Well.... perty amazin' that the eBay seller *ALSO* has a **New in Crate CVB SNG-II Model 20410 Nitrogen Generator**, asking only $45,000.00. Those kinds of things kinda move me away from the seller... :blink:

It also says in the listing "Item Specifics - Rice Cookers and Steamers", which leads me to believe that this pan set is not meant to be (or manufactured to the standards for) a true pressure cooker in the way we're discussing *here*.

I went searching, because I've never heard of the "brand name". I found it linked with a site called "appliancehut.com", but I can't get it to load, after WAAAAY too much time trying. :angry:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Fast...?tag=dogpile-20

(One reviewer liked it out of the box. So what. They're also no longer in stock... popular, or junk?)

From what I saw on dogpile.com, it looks like "Somersize" is Suzanne Somers' diet program wih assorted products to sell to get everything "right". Somebody was asking about parts for a "tuna pressure pan something-or-other" that broke. ("Problems with Somersize APL-SSSC Double Dish 5-Quart", about halfway down) http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/results/...=7?_IceUrl=true

I think I would stick with tried-and-true brands. The odd ones can sell cheap, but will they hold up, and will you be able to get parts?

:shrug:

I'm not trying to brand-advertise or anything, but I have a glasstop stove and I use my Kuhn Rikons on them all the time. They're stainless steel, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it -- but I get wonderful results. And Cowgirl, I have a kick-bootie refried bean recipe I'd be happy to share with you, if you're interested...I love it and I grew up in El Paso, right across the border from Mexico!! :D I got SPOILED with real Mexican food and I'm picky with my beans, and I love these!! :D Let me know if you'd like me to PM you the recipe -- it has no lard. :)

Yes, Turtlemama... NO FAIR!!! :o

**Cat steers Turtlemama to the Kitchen forum, and straps her hands to the keyboard...**

:whistling:

This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-6-Quart-Stain...8985&sr=8-1

But I admit to not using it much yet. I just don't think of it.

I also want that bean recipe, Turtlemama!!! Please!

Maybe we should start a "What Have you Pressure Cooked Today" thread in the Kitchen forum.

That one looks good, is the bottom flat so that i can use it on my glass stove? With free shipping, it cost the same as the one i'm taking back to walmart, its a Wearever brand.

I love my presser cooker, I love to cook a chicken in it---it falls off of the bone and then I can use it for a lot of dishes and I freeze some for latter. I cooks in 20 min and you don't stink up the kitchen. And the broth is so rich. I have a glass top stove and it works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
That one looks good, is the bottom flat so that i can use it on my glass stove? With free shipping, it cost the same as the one i'm taking back to walmart, its a Wearever brand.

Sorry! I just saw this!

Yes!! I have a smooth glass top stove. The pressure cooker is stainless steel.

Archived