MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Exciting Saturday evening - PHOTOS ADDED.

OldMaineBear

I retired to my bed around 10 PM and was just settled down when just outside the window I heard a commotion at the bird feeders. Now we have a couple of dozen squirrels of every shade and hue native to the region who bicker over rights to the feeders. The birds rate second class I guess. I wondered if the smaller reds were doing a night attack to avoid the bigger grays I could see the feeder swinging in the backlight of the moon on the driveway gravel. Then I saw a large form rear up and I thought that the raccoons had mastered climbing the brick facade, Then I turned on my big spotlight and two very large emerald green eyes stared back at me through the glass. It was a bear after the suet. My own avatar staring me in the face. Now I am Bear Clan in my tribe and I will not harm a bear unless it's a life or death situation so I grabbed my 44 magnum handgun and stepped out the doorway and confronted the bear. It was a medium sized bear, probably no more than 200 pounds, but still a wild bear. He huffed at me and I asked him to kindly mosey to other parts of thre neighborhood and after a second of thoughtful contemplation on his behalf, he moseyed along. I'll try to get pictures of the damage tomorrow and maybe some nice track shots as he was in M'Lady's garden spot standoing up to get the suet. It did manage to get the feeder, but not the suet. Also tomorrow the suet comes in for the summer.

Now I am up for the night. Just a little bit of residual adrenaline pumping through the system.

ADDENDUM

He absolutely trashed the feeders. One is totally missing.

Didn't get the suet, but we are bringing it in.

Here's the pics. No tracks on the soft mulch bed.

post-2014-1244379891_thumb.jpg

post-2014-1244379929_thumb.jpg

post-2014-1244379964_thumb.jpg

:blink:

And here I was, gonna share that MY Saturday night excitement was a raccoon on my porch eating the leftover cat food...

Doesn't really compare... :huh:

:24:

I guess I can't imagine shooting a bear unless it was a "nuisance" animal that returned night after night and started destroying property or killing domestic animals, or tried to break into the house. And then I'd prefer to have the authorities trap and release into the "wilder" wilds... ;)

Glad you're ok... watch that heart, ok?? No big scares!!!

:bighug2:

I'm so glad the bear realized the diner was closed and it needed to leave!

Had that been a mature female bear (especially with cubs, in or out of sight), it might've been a different story! The males are easier to chase off, 'cause they don't pack 'that' attitude! lol

A young and dumb bear has been visiting my place a lot lately,and by the looks of it, he has been lazing around on my front porch too. I found the attractant: a rain water barrel 'round back of the house that I use for watering plants...

The other night, he was caught in the act, and a bloodcurdling Commanche style yell sent him packing. If he comes back, I have on ready 'rubber buckshot' 12 guage shells made 'specially for educating bears and other large wildlife. It is a painful (but not damaging) lesson for bears that human habitations are to steer clear of.

I have long ago taken down all of my birdfeeders, etc. so not to entice/educate the local bears and to keep them/humans out of harm's way. I mean, that's worser than placing a big pile of fine chocolates at the feet of any normal woman, and telling her she can't have any. lolololol!!!

Glad you're ok!

The handgun was to scare it if it approached. The short barrel 44 magnum has a vicious roar and ball of flame that should scare away most anything.

At 1:30 it came back and got the second feeder. The suet is too high, but it knows its there, It's 3:15 now and I'm watching to make sure it doesn't try climbing the side of the house to get the suet.

Just an hour to sunup. Then we'll check the damages to feeders and M'Lady's garden.

Three days ago a friend from Australia was asking me about bears. I have been online with her relating my adventures tonight. She said the biggest beasties they have running loose in Western Australia are camels.

ADDENDUM

Well it gets better yet. M'Lady walked down the driveway and found the trash cans were also hit. No sign anywhere of the bags that were in it. probably brown bagged their lunch ate the Roadside Take Out.

Pictures attached. The Rubbermaid took the worst hit.

post-2014-1244381687_thumb.jpg

post-2014-1244381723_thumb.jpg

post-2014-1244381765_thumb.jpg

Well, well, well....a bear you say? :huh:

I did a little search and am very surprised to discover that there are Black Bears in Alabama too, I honestly did not know that! :o

Of course, they aren't suppose to be in my county. And I'm not complaining! :D

:0327:

We have bears, cougars and alligators. Our game warden said not far from us, someone got pictures on his game camera. He set one near a feeder to see why it was always on the ground empty. He found out it was a bear. The warden said the pictures showed the bear sitting on the ground scooping the corn into his lap. I'll assume its only a matter of time before i come across one in person, i saw a cougar not to long ago.

Lions and tigers and BEARS, OH MY! Glad you are ok, OMB and Mrs Bear. I thought I had it tough. Stupid crows eating all my bird food and then depositing the "remains" in my pool and on my deck! :motz_6: So down came all the bird feeders and at least it is quiet now. Less poop too. But that doesn't compare to BEARS :0327: Other than some critter(?) eating my cabbage plant, life is good :happy0203: Take care.

Archived